Re: [WarOf1812] towers

  • ANDREW S BATEMAN
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
      I believe there's one in Kingston across the harbour from Old Fort Henry, on
      the grounds of the RMC.

      Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
        There is another that I just found in the city of Quebec.

        Max

      • JGIL1812@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
          There are six (6) towers in Kingston. All part of the forts outer defensive
          ring.

          JG/RE
        • dancingbobd@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
            Hi Max,

            For all us USA folks, what type of tower are you folks discussing. A
            shot tower perhaps?

            Regards,

            Bob Dorian
            US Engineer
            (Going to "fight the bloody British in a town called New Orleans")
          • Bateman, Andrew
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002

              A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
              consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
              degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
              floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
              quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
              by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
              have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
              about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
              ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.

              Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                Try http://www.martello-towers.co.uk/ it is probably the site Andrew is
                referring to, if not it should answer most of your questions on the topic.

                Peter Catley

              • alaidh
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                  --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Bateman, Andrew" <abateman@g...> wrote:
> [...]

                  According to a book on US seacost fortifications, there were several
                  Martello towers involved in the seaward defenses of New York harbor at
                  the time of the War of 1812. At least one, if I remember correctly, was
                  on the New Jersey side, about where Stevens Institute of Technology is
                  today. I know a couple of grads who refere to "the old tower" that is
                  on campus, on a bluff overlooking the lower approaches to the harbor.
                  Would that be it, possibly??

                  > > Hi Max,
                  > >
                  > > For all us USA folks, what type of tower are you folks discussing. A
                  > > shot tower perhaps?
                  >
                  > A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
                  > consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
                  > degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
                  > floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
                  > quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
                  > by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
                  > have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
                  > about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
                  > ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.
                  >
                  > Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
                • colsjtjones2000
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                    There are 4 martello towers in the Kingston area - the Cedar Island
                    tower - the Ft Frederick tower (Royal Naval Dockyard previously
                    mentioned) - the Shoal Tower in the waters of Kingston Harbour -
                    and the Murney tower in the southern approaches. Please note that
                    the ditch towers at Ft Henry are not martellos.

                    There are also a number of martellos in Canada to the east of
                    Kingston. Refer to "Canadian Historic Sites - A History of Martello
                    Towers in the Defence of British North America, 1796 - 1871". Ivan
                    J. Saunders Canadian Historic Sites #15.

                    Doug