RE: [WarOf1812] towers

  • Maxine Trottier
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
      We were just talking about martello towers here at home. I found on online
      in New Brunswick. Anyone know of any other in Canada?

      Max

    • ANDREW S BATEMAN
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
        I believe there's one in Kingston across the harbour from Old Fort Henry, on
        the grounds of the RMC.

        Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't

        > We were just talking about martello towers here at home. I found on online
        > in New Brunswick. Anyone know of any other in Canada?
        >
        > Max

        square miles...

      • Maxine Trottier
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
          There is another that I just found in the city of Quebec.

          Max

        • JGIL1812@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
            There are six (6) towers in Kingston. All part of the forts outer defensive
            ring.

            JG/RE
          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2002
              Hi Max,

              For all us USA folks, what type of tower are you folks discussing. A
              shot tower perhaps?

              Regards,

              Bob Dorian
              US Engineer
              (Going to "fight the bloody British in a town called New Orleans")
            • Bateman, Andrew
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002

                A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
                consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
                degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
                floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
                quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
                by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
                have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
                about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
                ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.

                Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
              • Peter Catley
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                  Try http://www.martello-towers.co.uk/ it is probably the site Andrew is
                  referring to, if not it should answer most of your questions on the topic.

                  Peter Catley

                • alaidh
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                    --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Bateman, Andrew" <abateman@g...> wrote:
> [...]

                    According to a book on US seacost fortifications, there were several
                    Martello towers involved in the seaward defenses of New York harbor at
                    the time of the War of 1812. At least one, if I remember correctly, was
                    on the New Jersey side, about where Stevens Institute of Technology is
                    today. I know a couple of grads who refere to "the old tower" that is
                    on campus, on a bluff overlooking the lower approaches to the harbor.
                    Would that be it, possibly??

                    > > Hi Max,
                    > >
                    > > For all us USA folks, what type of tower are you folks discussing. A
                    > > shot tower perhaps?
                    >
                    > A Martello tower is a type of self-contained seacoast fortification
                    > consisting of a round tower with a single large cannon on the roof on a 360
                    > degree pivoting mount. Usually there are two floors below that: the ground
                    > floor is the magazine and storage area and the second floor is the living
                    > quarters. During the 1812 period, the south coast of England was protected
                    > by a long line of these towers, all within sight of each other. I don't
                    > have the web address right now, but I once ran across an English website
                    > about Martello towers that had drawings and photo tours of several existing
                    > ones. If you do a web search it might still be out there.
                    >
                    > Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't
                  • colsjtjones2000
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                      There are 4 martello towers in the Kingston area - the Cedar Island
                      tower - the Ft Frederick tower (Royal Naval Dockyard previously
                      mentioned) - the Shoal Tower in the waters of Kingston Harbour -
                      and the Murney tower in the southern approaches. Please note that
                      the ditch towers at Ft Henry are not martellos.

                      There are also a number of martellos in Canada to the east of
                      Kingston. Refer to "Canadian Historic Sites - A History of Martello
                      Towers in the Defence of British North America, 1796 - 1871". Ivan
                      J. Saunders Canadian Historic Sites #15.

                      Doug