Musket Explosion

    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 3, 2002
      From: "Leonard E Heidebrecht" <lheidebrecht@...>

      I heard something on the radio this morning about a woman in the
      Kitchener Ont area, being injured by a musket ... the owner had all
      his other firearms (which were safe and not involved) seized by the
      police

      Len, I thot you had left the planet! .... welcome back!

      According to the Waterloo Record newspaper most of the seized guns
      were modern weapons and that the one that blew up was a "flintlock
      muzzle loading rifle" which she was helping to load by holding it. I
      wonder if the Colonel would let us rankers have a lady to help us
      "prime n' load" ?!?! :^)
    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 10, 2002
        In reviewing my message #13236 below, I must admit I don't think it
        is particularly appropriate to the discussion. Teddy was discussing
        artillery. We are talking about muskets or rifles.

        But I would say that the reproductions we use have modern
        steel barrels of much greater strenght than the originals. And being
        recent, have not suffered the depredations of time, neglect and
        uncertain maintenance. Anyone using a 150 year old plus original in
        re-enactment is an accident waiting to happen.

        Doug