Re: [WarOf1812] RN greatest fear?

  • David S. Mallinak
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2001
      Armchairadm@... wrote:

      > While, as far as I know, there was no attempt by the US to acquire Fr. SoL's
      > during the War of 1812, there was a distinct possibility that several Fr. 40
      > gun Frigates could have been acquired from the Fr. during the Chesapeake /
      > Leopard Affair in 1807. Two or three such ships were in US ports during the
      > ensuing crisis. They would have made an interesting and valuable addition to
      > the USN if war had broken out.

      I believe some of the French 48 that were were installed in the
      batteries along the water at Fort McHenry, were from a French ship.
      Gave the British a nice surprise and caused them to withdraw to limit
      or their range. Probable the reason that the British bombardment was
      so ineffective.

      Your humble and obedient servant,
      David S Mallinak
      5th Md Militia