Lakota/Dakota and War of 1812

  • fortdearborn1812
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2001
      Sorry this is rather late but here goes.
      In my research of the Fort Dearborn Massacre, I gathered the survivor account of one of the soldiers who had been taken by a Sioux tribe whose name eludes me (a gentleman from Minneapolis/St. Paul was able to give me the exact name but I cannot lay my hands on the confounded page) and carried as far as the Falls of St. Anthony, where he was kept for some time before being traded back.

      Captain Heald had taken notice, in the Spring of 1812, that many Indians were hanging around who were not part of the his 'Agency' but from other places, including Fort Madison.

      Just my 2 cents worth.
      Happy Christmas all!
      Now back to my baking...
      Sally Bennett