RE: [WarOf1812] Digest Number 1214

  • johnvs64j@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2001
      Craig,
      I'll have to check so I'm going on memory here. I'm not sure there were any Dakota at the Little Bighorn. Linguistically, they speak a dialect based on the same root language as the Lakota, but culturally, they're much different since they were centered in Minnesota. They even lived in bark covered longhouses rather than the tipees of their more Western cousins. The Dakota are much more closely related to the Hochunk (Winnebago) and even the Red Earth Ojibwe'. The Dakota often visited Mackinaw, Green Bay and Prairie du Chien. They also commonly spoke French as a second language. Some even fought at Ft. William Henry during the French and Indian War according to Bougainville.

      --John V.
      --
      Museum quality reproduction quillwork of the Great Lakes during the fur trade period.  Little Bear Reproductions at www.kidages.com