Re: 1st VS 89th

  • alaidh@gis.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:

      > OOOOOOO!!! And not to be biased or such -- I ALSO am rapt in the naval
      > discussion recently occurring. The first I learned of the War of 1812 (school
      > didn't teach us nuttin', honey!) was by having a Mitlon-Bradley board game
      > called "Broadside", based on the war, and which contained a small booklet
      > about significant naval engagements, etc. Thus I was tweaked to go to the
      > library (whaz zat? ain't it on tha enturent?) and find out more. So THAT is
      > why I still play games.....

      Hey, I remember that game - little blue and red plastic hulls, soft
      plastic white sails/masts that you could remove to show damage, right?

      If you still are into naval wargaming for that period, you might be
      interested to know that Rod Langton of England (best 1/1200 scale
      Napoleonic shiips for gaming made anywhere, I avere) wrote me and said
      that he is going to spend part of the upcoming winter producing some of
      the ships for the War of 1812 that currently are not available
      (Newcastle class double-banked frigates, Majestic class razees,
      possibly the Adams corvette). Good stuff!

      Cheers,

      Fitz
    • alaidh@gis.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Richard Feltoe" <feltoe@h...> wrote:

        as Brown's later (and highly slanted/revised) version of
        > events

        Now, Richard, be fair - compare Brown's reports with Drummond's reports
        on lundy's Lane, or the night attack on Fort Erie - and compare them
        with the facts that are known. I sometimes suspect from reading the
        reports of generals (Prevost and Macomb at Plattsburg included) that
        all the generals were somewhere else, and consulted ouiji boards for
        the details of their reports!

        Cheers,

        Fitz
      • nathanheald@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
          Richard, I am 95% with you now. The only thing that I disagree with, is that, when Nicholas received "instruction" from Major or Colonel McRea of the engineers, that this was not when they went up the hill to support Miller. The "instructions" led to the 1st actually moving from column into line moving up and then takng the casualties, then "right about" and the staff officer riding up to Nicholas asking why he was coming back down. This is part of the "slanted reporting" that was in Brown's report stating that the enlisted men of the 1st had broken. Except for some of the inaccurate selective testimony in the court martial, all other reports from the officers of the 1st all state that they received orders to move against the hill. Lt. Shaw, Lt. Bissell and Captain Symmes have all stated, that Lt. Colonel Bissell was approached by a staff officer (McRee or McRea I can't remember and too tired to look) who gave directions for the 1st to move up the hill. I bow to your thorough research of the British regimental positions and exact location where the 1st came under fire. All of the officers of the 1st stated they came under fire of the guns and not musketry, though it may had been both. Before I end our lengthy discussion, I'll leave you with a few other tibits. The 1st fired an average of 70 rounds a man, buck and ball. Symmes stated in later years, that the British had complained after the battle about the buck and ball? The 1st took one fourth casualties. Interestingly, of the four men in the company over six feet in height, three were killed and one was missing. I'm awlful glad I'm only 5' 10". Kind regards, Dave Bennett.
        • Richard Feltoe
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
            Thanks Dave,
            I'll get back to you on the 5% after I reread the Courts martial evidence
            and a couple of other pieces I have at work.
            Richard
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2001
              > David Bennett wrote: Sounds like a plan Kevin, you and I in the school yard. I'll portray Patrick Gass of the 1st Infantry (late of the lewis and Clark expedition), I'll use one eye and be drunk during the entire war!

              Okay and since the 89th is Irish, I'll be drunk for the entire war as well and then when we're finished beating each other up we'll sit down for a drink and hate the British together!
            • PEGGY MATHEWS
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2001
                I love it!

                Can anyone ID this classic movie line? (I can't recall myself.) "I'm off to the pub to talk treason" or words to that effect. Father Flannegan it wasn't, but the same actor.

                Michael