RE: [WarOf1812] citizenship

  • David Randle
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2001
      This citizenship thing can be quite the bureaucracy. My father was born in
      Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1914, the son of immigrants who left England in 1913.
      The family returned to England in 1915 so my grandfather could join a
      British regiment in WW1. They never returned to Canada. So my father was not
      quite two when taken to England. He was educated there, worked there, went
      into the British army in 1939 and served from North Africa, India, into
      Burma and finally into China, returned home and continued living working and
      paying taxes in the UK. In 1958, wanting to go on a vacation to Europe he
      was denied a British passport on the grounds he wasn't "British" and was
      told he would have to get a Canadian passport. He did just that and never
      regretted it.

      David Randle