Royal Scots Rgt Lacing

  • Richard Feltoe
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2001
      Dear Listoids
      As part of some researching I was doing for the making of a series of models (Roll Call, Resin, 100mm) of the Ist Rgt,Royal Scots Rgt at Lundys Lane, I need some clarification on the regimental lace. According to what I have seen amongst the reenactors, the lacing is square ended and doubled. However, according to one of my reference books there is an indication that the Royal's lacing changed in 1812 to single-spaced bastion loops. Can anyone clarify this issue or provide some specific references to regimental orders and specifications I can look into and determine how the lacing should be represented on the models?
      Regards Richard Feltoe

    • Glenn Stott
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2001
        Dear Richard,
        You have uncovered an issue which has plagued our Group the Royal Scots
        since our formation in 1990. The basic reference text for the Royals is a
        book published at least 70 years ago by Robert Leask? or Linsk ( I have it
        somewhere but not close at hand) and it states that the square lacing was
        until the new pattern which was established in 1812 which replaced the
        square with the bastion. However, the 1st Battlion was in the Carribbean
        and were wearing "tropical" gear when they arrived in Quebec in 1812 where
        they remained for 6 months recuperating. Archeologists from Burlington
        Heights have always found old style buttons as well as stovepipe shako
        badges in greater quantity than the belgic pattern of the Royals which we
        assume indicated that the Royals who assumed duty on the frontier in 1813
        were still wearing the "older" pattern lacing and shako until they were
        replaced, we feel just prior to the summer of 1814.
        Tom Ross recalls a researcher telling him that at Chippewa on July 5,
        the royals were observed by the Americans to be the "brightest and
        prettiest" dressed of all the British because of their newly issued
        uniforms. Since our group focuses on Battle of Longwoods, March 1814, we
        have alsways felt that the square pattern would have been worn at that time.
        We also found our lacing, is not accurate as it isn't double worm. We
        would welcome any research that would help us correct any errors. The Royal
        Scots Museum in Edinbourough Castle knows less than we do!

        Glenn Stott
        Royals
        > As part of some researching I was doing for the making of a series of
        models (Roll Call, Resin, 100mm) of the Ist Rgt,Royal Scots Rgt at Lundys
        Lane, I need some clarification on the regimental lace. According to what I
        have seen amongst the reenactors, the lacing is square ended and doubled.
        However, according to one of my reference books there is an indication that
        the Royal's lacing changed in 1812 to single-spaced bastion loops. Can
        anyone clarify this issue or provide some specific references to regimental
        orders and specifications I can look into and determine how the lacing
        should be represented on the models?
        >Regards Richard Feltoe

        square miles...