Re: Fwd: [britregiments] Ypres

  • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
      Peter - whatever you might assume from some postings, I can assure
      you that in Canada the Last Post is revered. It was most recently
      observed in a memorial for Sept 11th when I was in a Walmart store
      and you could have heard a pin drop. At the same time there were
      100,000 people on Parliament Hill observing the same silence - and
      the same post.

      In Canada our Memorial Day (Remembrance Day) is Nov 11th. The 11th
      day of the 11th month. The Royal Canadian Legion "sells" poppies -
      from Flanders Fields, although now they are plastic. In Canada at
      this time of year one would be hard pressed to find a person not
      wearing a poppy. On Nov 11th, there is always an impressive
      remembrance ceremony at the National War Memorial, which is usually
      televised on CPAC and NW, and which I would encourage everyone to
      watch.

      Doug

      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...> wrote:
      > Michael,
      >
      > In the UK the last post is played at the burial of a soldier to
      signify the
      > passing over from the earthly world to the heavenly. It has become
      normal
      > for it to be played at remembrance services to signify the start of
      the
      > respectful silence.
      >
      > It is a most haunting tune and played well it can be extremely
      emotional.
      > Your response was the appropriate one, one stands to attention
      faces the
      > front. If in uniform you salute.
      >
      > As for the history I don't know when the tradition started but I
      would guess
      > that it was probably early Victorian but Tim or Benton may know
      more about
      > it.
      >
      > It is perhaps one of our better and simpler ceremonies.
      >
      > I am slightly surprised that it is not a feature in Canada.
      >
      > Peter Catley

      THOUSANDS of
      > square miles...
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • John-Paul Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
        olsjtjones2000@... wrote:

        > I cannot understand why someone in our activity did not appreciate
        > the significance of the Last Post. Of course it didn't exist in the
        > 1812 period, but it is used in all memorials which we conduct now,
        > regardless of period. Perhaps more informed people than me could
        > advise what would have been similarly appropriate in our 1812
        > period. Doug

        Are you sure that "The Last Post" didn't exist then?

        I got this from the ANZAC day website:

        Last Post

        The bugle call Last Post is inextricably part of the end of day
        traditions which include Beating the Retreat and Tattoo.
        Retreat is the older custom dating back to the 16th Century and
        consisting of prolonged drum beating at sunset to warn the night guard
        to mount and also to give notice that the gates of the town walls were
        about to close. This custom was also part of the end of day battle
        procedure when volleys were fired and a hymn played in honour of those
        who had fallen during the day. At this time of evening the colour would
        be trooped. Today this latter activity is replaced by the lowering of
        the National Flag.

        There is some confusion over the ‘post’ calls. It seems that the ‘First
        Post’ and 'Last Post' came into being in the early part of the 19th
        Century. The ‘First Post’ was sounded as the orderly officer, the
        orderly sergeant and a drummer (with a bugle) started the Tattoo. They
        then marched from post to post with the drummer beating his drum. Upon
        reaching the final post the drummer would sound the Last Post. (This is
        why drummers carry a bugle.)

        The Last Post was really the end of the day (a hard day’s fighting and a
        hard night’s drinking).

        This bugle call has been passed down through the centuries in many
        countries of the world as an accompaniment to the impressive rites of a
        soldier’s farewell - the closing bars wail out their sad valediction to
        the departing warrior.
        ----------------

        This matches well with what I was taught during my Basic Officer Course
        lo these many years ago.

        J-P Johnson
        Royal Nfld Reg't
        --------------
        J-P's Homepage: http://members.home.net/jpjohnsn/
      • Chewie
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
          While at RHS the first post was played by bugler in morning and the colours were taken down with calls upon the Bosun's Call at the end of the day . Obviously the Bowfin's call cannot play the last post , so the bugle should have been there . It was a Naval establishment .

          Chewie
          unit commander
          50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
          " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"
          > I cannot understand why someone in our activity did not appreciate
          > the significance of the Last Post. Of course it didn't exist in the
          > 1812 period, but it is used in all memorials which we conduct now,
          > regardless of period. Perhaps more informed people than me could
          > advise what would have been similarly appropriate in our 1812
          > period. Doug

          Are you sure that "The Last Post" didn't exist then?

          I got this from the ANZAC day website:

          Last Post

          The bugle call Last Post is inextricably part of the end of day
          traditions which include Beating the Retreat and Tattoo.
          Retreat is the older custom dating back to the 16th Century and
          consisting of prolonged drum beating at sunset to warn the night guard
          to mount and also to give notice that the gates of the town walls were
          about to close. This custom was also part of the end of day battle
          procedure when volleys were fired and a hymn played in honour of those
          who had fallen during the day. At this time of evening the colour would
          be trooped. Today this latter activity is replaced by the lowering of
          the National Flag.

          There is some confusion over the 'post' calls. It seems that the 'First
          Post' and 'Last Post' came into being in the early part of the 19th
          Century. The 'First Post' was sounded as the orderly officer, the
          orderly sergeant and a drummer (with a bugle) started the Tattoo. They
          then marched from post to post with the drummer beating his drum. Upon
          reaching the final post the drummer would sound the Last Post. (This is
          why drummers carry a bugle.)

          The Last Post was really the end of the day (a hard day's fighting and a
          hard night's drinking).

          This bugle call has been passed down through the centuries in many
          countries of the world as an accompaniment to the impressive rites of a
          soldier's farewell - the closing bars wail out their sad valediction to
          the departing warrior.
          ----------------

          This matches well with what I was taught during my Basic Officer Course
          lo these many years ago.

          J-P Johnson
          Royal Nfld Reg't
          J-P's Homepage: http://members.home.net/jpjohnsn/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Chewie
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
            Sorry
            My memory is slipping . during evening ceremony bugler was there . The sequence was Bosun's Call played Still , then bugler played last post , Followed by Call again playing Carry On .
            Again apologies for this Fau Parr . Brain approaching 40 .