RE: [WarOf1812] Fwd: [britregiments] Ypres

  • Bateman, Andrew
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001

      Yes, we have it in Canada. Every November 11 at 11:00am we have ceremonies
      across the country where Last Post is played, followed by a minute of
      silence, followed by Reveille. Usually there is a piper in there somewhere
      playing "Lament".

      Andrew Bateman, 1/41st
    • red.gold@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:
        > I have stood at the Menin Gate in "Wipers" and heard Last Post
        sounded on
        > bugles by the local Belgian constabulary.
        > Combined with the sight of all those tens of thousands of names
        inscribed on
        > the massive walls of the memorial Gate (along with just as many at
        nearby
        > Tyne Cot cemetery), it is something one never forgets....

        > In a message dated 1/11/01 3:25:58 PM, gam1947@d... writes:
        >
        > << Ladies and Gentlemen,
        >
        > The clipping below is from Canada, in the electronic newspapers on
        the web
        > there is nothing about it from Australia, Britain, NZ, and this is
        the only
        > one in the Canadian media. One would hope that it was in the
        actual print
        > copies!
        >
        > Quite sad.
        >
        > Yours,
        > G/.
        >
        > Thursday, November 1, 2001 The Halifax Herald Limited
        --------
        > Commonwealth soldiers honoured in Ypres
        > Nova Scotia Highlanders among those to pay tribute to fallen
        >
        > Virginia Mayo / The Associated Press
        > By Roberta Cowan / The Canadian Press

        As you will note, thia item was a product of The Canadian Press. It
        actually passed through my ink-stained paws in my capacity as an
        editor on the World Desk there.
        CP always makes an effort to cover Remembrance Day activities to as
        full an extent as our limited resources allow.
        It was relayed to all of the major newspapers in Canada who are our
        clients, as well as databases and Internet newspages who buy our
        content We have no control over who chooses to actually publish the
        material but I suspect it would have been given wide play.
        Canada's sacrifice in both world wars was disproportionately large
        for our population and most families of the time were scarred by the
        loss or serious injury of at least one member.
        Both of my grandfathers were wounded in the First War and my dad
        survived a bomb blast in Naples in the Second.
        T.Avery.
      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
          Thanks Peter, I understand better now.

          Michael

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
            I cannot understand why someone in our activity did not appreciate
            the significance of the Last Post. Of course it didn't exist in the
            1812 period, but it is used in all memorials which we conduct now,
            regardless of period. Perhaps more informed people than me could
            advise what would have been similarly appropriate in our 1812
            period. Doug

            --- In WarOf1812@y..., "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@m...> wrote:
            > Thanks Peter, I understand better now.
            >
            > Michael

            THOUSANDS of

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
              Peter - whatever you might assume from some postings, I can assure
              you that in Canada the Last Post is revered. It was most recently
              observed in a memorial for Sept 11th when I was in a Walmart store
              and you could have heard a pin drop. At the same time there were
              100,000 people on Parliament Hill observing the same silence - and
              the same post.

              In Canada our Memorial Day (Remembrance Day) is Nov 11th. The 11th
              day of the 11th month. The Royal Canadian Legion "sells" poppies -
              from Flanders Fields, although now they are plastic. In Canada at
              this time of year one would be hard pressed to find a person not
              wearing a poppy. On Nov 11th, there is always an impressive
              remembrance ceremony at the National War Memorial, which is usually
              televised on CPAC and NW, and which I would encourage everyone to
              watch.

              Doug

            • John-Paul Johnson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
                olsjtjones2000@... wrote:

                > I cannot understand why someone in our activity did not appreciate
                > the significance of the Last Post. Of course it didn't exist in the
                > 1812 period, but it is used in all memorials which we conduct now,
                > regardless of period. Perhaps more informed people than me could
                > advise what would have been similarly appropriate in our 1812
                > period. Doug

                Are you sure that "The Last Post" didn't exist then?

                I got this from the ANZAC day website:

                Last Post

                The bugle call Last Post is inextricably part of the end of day
                traditions which include Beating the Retreat and Tattoo.
                Retreat is the older custom dating back to the 16th Century and
                consisting of prolonged drum beating at sunset to warn the night guard
                to mount and also to give notice that the gates of the town walls were
                about to close. This custom was also part of the end of day battle
                procedure when volleys were fired and a hymn played in honour of those
                who had fallen during the day. At this time of evening the colour would
                be trooped. Today this latter activity is replaced by the lowering of
                the National Flag.

                There is some confusion over the ‘post’ calls. It seems that the ‘First
                Post’ and 'Last Post' came into being in the early part of the 19th
                Century. The ‘First Post’ was sounded as the orderly officer, the
                orderly sergeant and a drummer (with a bugle) started the Tattoo. They
                then marched from post to post with the drummer beating his drum. Upon
                reaching the final post the drummer would sound the Last Post. (This is
                why drummers carry a bugle.)

                The Last Post was really the end of the day (a hard day’s fighting and a
                hard night’s drinking).

                This bugle call has been passed down through the centuries in many
                countries of the world as an accompaniment to the impressive rites of a
                soldier’s farewell - the closing bars wail out their sad valediction to
                the departing warrior.
                ----------------

                This matches well with what I was taught during my Basic Officer Course
                lo these many years ago.

                J-P Johnson
                Royal Nfld Reg't
                --------------
                J-P's Homepage: http://members.home.net/jpjohnsn/
              • Chewie
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
                  While at RHS the first post was played by bugler in morning and the colours were taken down with calls upon the Bosun's Call at the end of the day . Obviously the Bowfin's call cannot play the last post , so the bugle should have been there . It was a Naval establishment .

                  Chewie
                  unit commander
                  50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
                  " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"
                  > I cannot understand why someone in our activity did not appreciate
                  > the significance of the Last Post. Of course it didn't exist in the
                  > 1812 period, but it is used in all memorials which we conduct now,
                  > regardless of period. Perhaps more informed people than me could
                  > advise what would have been similarly appropriate in our 1812
                  > period. Doug

                  Are you sure that "The Last Post" didn't exist then?

                  I got this from the ANZAC day website:

                  Last Post

                  The bugle call Last Post is inextricably part of the end of day
                  traditions which include Beating the Retreat and Tattoo.
                  Retreat is the older custom dating back to the 16th Century and
                  consisting of prolonged drum beating at sunset to warn the night guard
                  to mount and also to give notice that the gates of the town walls were
                  about to close. This custom was also part of the end of day battle
                  procedure when volleys were fired and a hymn played in honour of those
                  who had fallen during the day. At this time of evening the colour would
                  be trooped. Today this latter activity is replaced by the lowering of
                  the National Flag.

                  There is some confusion over the 'post' calls. It seems that the 'First
                  Post' and 'Last Post' came into being in the early part of the 19th
                  Century. The 'First Post' was sounded as the orderly officer, the
                  orderly sergeant and a drummer (with a bugle) started the Tattoo. They
                  then marched from post to post with the drummer beating his drum. Upon
                  reaching the final post the drummer would sound the Last Post. (This is
                  why drummers carry a bugle.)

                  The Last Post was really the end of the day (a hard day's fighting and a
                  hard night's drinking).

                  This bugle call has been passed down through the centuries in many
                  countries of the world as an accompaniment to the impressive rites of a
                  soldier's farewell - the closing bars wail out their sad valediction to
                  the departing warrior.
                  ----------------

                  This matches well with what I was taught during my Basic Officer Course
                  lo these many years ago.

                  J-P Johnson
                  Royal Nfld Reg't
                  J-P's Homepage: http://members.home.net/jpjohnsn/

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Chewie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
                    Sorry
                    My memory is slipping . during evening ceremony bugler was there . The sequence was Bosun's Call played Still , then bugler played last post , Followed by Call again playing Carry On .
                    Again apologies for this Fau Parr . Brain approaching 40 .