RE: [WarOf1812] Reenacting in the UK

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
      Thanks, I've redirected my comment.

      P**

      Peter Catley

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Kevin Windsor [mailto:kevin.windsor@...]
      Sent: 02 November 2001 00:14
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Reenacting in the UK

      Peter she is not on this list

      Peter Catley wrote:

      > Of course, there are a number of units based around the Gillingham/Chatham
      > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put you in
      > touch with some of them.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Peter Catley
      > Napoleonic Association.

      square miles...

      square miles...

    • Roger Marsh
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
        Kevin and Peter,

        Since she is primarily interested in Naval re-enactment of the c.
        1800-1812 era, you might also direct the good Deb to HMS - the
        Historical Maritime Society - who, although not specifically based in
        Kent and with a considerable proportion of their membership further
        North within easier reach of the "Leda" - group frigate "Trincomalee"
        which they are associated (sister- ship to Broke's "Shannon", still
        afloat in Hartlepool), nevertheless have members all over Britain and
        re-enact in various places (e.g., nearer my locality, Hampshire, at
        IFOS, Portsmouth, last August). They are likely to be in operation
        sometimes at Chatham Historic Dockyard, Kent, I would surmise;
        anyway, she can ask.

        They are very, very knowledgeable on naval life of the period and a
        good crowd of people with an excellent sense of humour too; I had the
        honour of interacting with them in my persona of Pellew in 1801 at
        IFOS, particularly when escorting His Britannic Majesty GIII around
        his royal Dockyards.

        Website at: http://www.hms.org.uk/

        Regards,

        Roger Marsh

        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...> wrote:
        > Of course, there are a number of units based around the
        Gillingham/Chatham
        > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put
        you in
        > touch with some of them.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Peter Catley
        > Napoleonic Association.

      • Chewie
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
          Hi Roger
          In my email to Deb I did mention Chatham Division , Royal Marines , which last I heard were part of HMS .
          I also added the other units that regularly attend Fort Amherst including my own .

          Chewie
          unit commander
          50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
          " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"
          Since she is primarily interested in Naval re-enactment of the 1812
          era, you might also direct the good Deb to HMS - the Historical
          Maritime Society - who, although not specifically based in Kent and
          with a considerable proportion of their membership further North
          within easier reach of the "Leda" - group frigate "Trincomalee" which
          they are associated (sister- ship to Broke's "Shannon", still afloat
          in Hartlepool), nevertheless have members all over Britain and re-
          enact in various places (e.g., nearer my locality, Hampshire, at
          IFOS, Portsmouth, last August). They are likely to be in operation
          sometimes at Chatham Historic Dockyard, Kent, I would surmise;
          anyway, she can ask.

          They are very, very knowledgeable on naval life of the period and a
          good crowd of people; I had the honour of interacting with them in my
          persona of Pellew in 1801 at IFOS, particularly when escorting His
          Britannic Majesty GIII around his royal Dockyards.

          Website at: http://www.hms.org.uk/,

          Regards,

          Roger Marsh

          --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...> wrote:
          > Of course, there are a number of units based around the
          Gillingham/Chatham
          > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put
          you in
          > touch with some of them.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Peter Catley
          > Napoleonic Association.

        • Roger Marsh
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
            Hi, Chewie.

            I'm not sure quite of what is part of what here, not being a member
            mysllf, but maybe I'll just copy Deb in on my message anyway.

            Kind regards,

            Roer Marsh