Re: US Artillery question

  • nappingcrow@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      It would make sense that they would copy the British design (use what
      works) - I've just never seen them mentioned in the USN before this.

      Thanks for the info on columbiads! I haven't been able to find out
      much about them - so far the largest description I've seen has been
      from Roger Sarty's "Coast Artillery 1815-1914". He says they
      predated the War of 1812 by a few years, and were capable of firing
      both solid shot and explosive shells before the invention of the
      Paixhans gun. That, and they came in 50 and 100pdr sizes and were
      used as coastal artillery, so they didn't sound like likely
      candidates for widespread use by the navy.

      I'm interested in the Congreve gun - where can I find out more?

      Thanks,
      Brian S.