Remembrance

  • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      In case you are not aware, Chris Wattie is on assignment in Europe
      covering these events. You can read his articles at
      http://www.nationalpost.com Doug
    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
        I attended three services that day, and one the previous weekend.
        Canada's participation/losses in the Boer War were detailed in three of
        them.

        IMUC has enthusiastically participated in the Highland Creek Legion's
        Canada Day Parade for the last 3 years and also does tactical demos
        afterwards. At the conclusion of the parade, the IMUC forms up with
        the other RCL units, bands, corps for a brief salute/ceremony at the
        Branch's cenotaph. Although we are obviously not veterans of that war,
        we do our best to represent veterans of the defence of Canada from 200
        years ago and seem to be acknowledged as such. RCL members/veterans
        and spectators are interested in our portrayal.

        I must admit I am somewhat ambivalent about re-enactors of wars earlier
        than WWI participating in official civic Remembrance Day ceremonies
        though. I am speaking personally, and not on behalf of IMUC/MRSC.

        Doug
      • tracyforsyth2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
          Our family goes to the Highland Creek remembrance day ceremony in the
          evening for the residents of the adjoining nursing home.We have gone
          for the past 7 years.I think something should be mentioned about
          vetran's from ALL wars and even losses from "peace keeping" missions.
          If the soldiers/militia etc didn't fight 1812 and the war was just a
          mere march to win the Upper Canada area there would be no territory
          to defend in WW1 and WW2 and also if we are peace keepers the
          soldiers who lost their lives in wars after WW2 need to
          be "recognised" too.
          Tracy

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "colsjtjones2000"
          <colsjtjones2000@y...> wrote:

          > I attended three services that day, and one the previous weekend.
          > Canada's participation/losses in the Boer War were detailed in
          three of
          > them.
          >
          > IMUC has enthusiastically participated in the Highland Creek
          Legion's
          > Canada Day Parade for the last 3 years and also does tactical demos
          > afterwards. At the conclusion of the parade, the IMUC forms up
          with
          > the other RCL units, bands, corps for a brief salute/ceremony at
          the
          > Branch's cenotaph. Although we are obviously not veterans of that
          war,
          > we do our best to represent veterans of the defence of Canada from
          200
          > years ago and seem to be acknowledged as such. RCL
          members/veterans
          > and spectators are interested in our portrayal.
          >
          > I must admit I am somewhat ambivalent about re-enactors of wars
          earlier
          > than WWI participating in official civic Remembrance Day ceremonies
          > though. I am speaking personally, and not on behalf of IMUC/MRSC.
          >
          > Doug

        • J.Bruce Whittaker
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
            Here is something written this past year by Corb Lund from Alberta. It
            echoes many of the sentiments of remembrance poetry from past generations.
            Bruce Whittaker

            I wanna be in the cavalry if they send me off to war
            I wanna good steed under me like my forefathers before
            I wanna good mount when the bugle sounds and I hear the cannons' roar
            I wanna be in the cavalry if they send me off to war

            I wanna horse in the volunteer force that's riding forth at dawn
            Please save for me some gallantry that will echo when I'm gone
            I beg of you sarge let me lead the charge when the battle lines are drawn
            Lemme at least leave a good hoof beat they'll remember loud and long

            I'd not a good foot soldier make, I'd be sour and slow at march
            And I'd be sick on a navy ship, and the sea would leave me parched
            But I'll be first in line if they'll let me ride, by god, you'll see
            my starch
            Lope back o'er the heath with the laurel wreath underneath that
            vict'ry arch

            Let me earn my spurs in the battle's blur where the day is lost or won
            I'll wield my lance as the ponies dance and the blackguards fire their
            guns
            A sabre keen, and a saddle carbine and an army Remington
            Where the hot lead screams with the cold, cold steel let me be a
            cav'lryman

            Let 'em play their flutes and stirrup my boots and place them back to
            front
            For I won't be back on the rider-less black and I'm finished in my hunt
            I wanna be in the cavalry if I must go off to war
            I wanna be in the cavalry, but I won't ride home no more