Re: [WarOf1812] Reenacting in the UK

  • Chewie
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      FAO Deb
      My partner and I have recently left 19c woman , otherwise I could have answered sooner .
      Currently the only naval re-enactment in the Medway towns is the Chatham Marines who meet in Chatham World Naval Base , I think on a monthly basis .
      Fort Amherst , in Chatham is home to :- 42nd ( Black Watch ) Highlanders , 79th Highlanders , 5th Battalion 60th ( Royal American ) Rifles, 50th ( West Kent ) Regt , Royal Foot Artillery battery .
      As well as various visiting regiments .
      I hope this helps , and together with Peter Look forward to hearing more as things develop .

      Chewie
      unit commander
      50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
      " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        Peter she is not on this list

        Peter Catley wrote:

        > Of course, there are a number of units based around the Gillingham/Chatham
        > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put you in
        > touch with some of them.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Peter Catley
        > Napoleonic Association.

      • Melanie Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
          >Peter she is not on this list

          I have suggested she contacts the NA on the list she is on

          Mel
        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
            Thanks, I've redirected my comment.

            P**

            Peter Catley

            > Of course, there are a number of units based around the Gillingham/Chatham
            > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put you in
            > touch with some of them.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Peter Catley
            > Napoleonic Association.

            square miles...

            square miles...

          • Roger Marsh
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
              Kevin and Peter,

              Since she is primarily interested in Naval re-enactment of the c.
              1800-1812 era, you might also direct the good Deb to HMS - the
              Historical Maritime Society - who, although not specifically based in
              Kent and with a considerable proportion of their membership further
              North within easier reach of the "Leda" - group frigate "Trincomalee"
              which they are associated (sister- ship to Broke's "Shannon", still
              afloat in Hartlepool), nevertheless have members all over Britain and
              re-enact in various places (e.g., nearer my locality, Hampshire, at
              IFOS, Portsmouth, last August). They are likely to be in operation
              sometimes at Chatham Historic Dockyard, Kent, I would surmise;
              anyway, she can ask.

              They are very, very knowledgeable on naval life of the period and a
              good crowd of people with an excellent sense of humour too; I had the
              honour of interacting with them in my persona of Pellew in 1801 at
              IFOS, particularly when escorting His Britannic Majesty GIII around
              his royal Dockyards.

              Website at: http://www.hms.org.uk/

              Regards,

              Roger Marsh

              --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...> wrote:
              > Of course, there are a number of units based around the
              Gillingham/Chatham
              > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put
              you in
              > touch with some of them.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Peter Catley
              > Napoleonic Association.

            • Chewie
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
                Hi Roger
                In my email to Deb I did mention Chatham Division , Royal Marines , which last I heard were part of HMS .
                I also added the other units that regularly attend Fort Amherst including my own .

                Chewie
                unit commander
                50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
                " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"
                Since she is primarily interested in Naval re-enactment of the 1812
                era, you might also direct the good Deb to HMS - the Historical
                Maritime Society - who, although not specifically based in Kent and
                with a considerable proportion of their membership further North
                within easier reach of the "Leda" - group frigate "Trincomalee" which
                they are associated (sister- ship to Broke's "Shannon", still afloat
                in Hartlepool), nevertheless have members all over Britain and re-
                enact in various places (e.g., nearer my locality, Hampshire, at
                IFOS, Portsmouth, last August). They are likely to be in operation
                sometimes at Chatham Historic Dockyard, Kent, I would surmise;
                anyway, she can ask.

                They are very, very knowledgeable on naval life of the period and a
                good crowd of people; I had the honour of interacting with them in my
                persona of Pellew in 1801 at IFOS, particularly when escorting His
                Britannic Majesty GIII around his royal Dockyards.

                Website at: http://www.hms.org.uk/,

                Regards,

                Roger Marsh

                --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...> wrote:
                > Of course, there are a number of units based around the
                Gillingham/Chatham
                > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put
                you in
                > touch with some of them.
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Peter Catley
                > Napoleonic Association.

              • Roger Marsh
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
                  Hi, Chewie.

                  I'm not sure quite of what is part of what here, not being a member
                  mysllf, but maybe I'll just copy Deb in on my message anyway.

                  Kind regards,

                  Roer Marsh