Reenacting in the UK

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      Of course, there are a number of units based around the Gillingham/Chatham
      area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put you in
      touch with some of them.

      Cheers

      Peter Catley
      Napoleonic Association.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        FAO Deb
        My partner and I have recently left 19c woman , otherwise I could have answered sooner .
        Currently the only naval re-enactment in the Medway towns is the Chatham Marines who meet in Chatham World Naval Base , I think on a monthly basis .
        Fort Amherst , in Chatham is home to :- 42nd ( Black Watch ) Highlanders , 79th Highlanders , 5th Battalion 60th ( Royal American ) Rifles, 50th ( West Kent ) Regt , Royal Foot Artillery battery .
        As well as various visiting regiments .
        I hope this helps , and together with Peter Look forward to hearing more as things develop .

        Chewie
        unit commander
        50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
        " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"

        > I just got a job offer in the UK for a school in Kent. While I'm not
        > going to get really excited about it until I see the work permit for
        > myself, I am checking out stuff to do once I get over there. I'll be
        > working in Gillingham and would love to continue my reenactments. I
        > do c.1800 naval reenactment, mainly War of 1812 and would like
        > something along those lines but I have some stuff from other periods
        > as well.
        >
        > I'd love to meet up with fellow reenactors in the Kent area if there
        > are any. Please let me know!
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Deb

        square miles...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
          Peter she is not on this list

          Peter Catley wrote:

          > Of course, there are a number of units based around the Gillingham/Chatham
          > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put you in
          > touch with some of them.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Peter Catley
          > Napoleonic Association.

        • Melanie Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
            >Peter she is not on this list

            I have suggested she contacts the NA on the list she is on

            Mel
          • Peter Catley
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
              Thanks, I've redirected my comment.

              P**

              Peter Catley

              > Of course, there are a number of units based around the Gillingham/Chatham
              > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put you in
              > touch with some of them.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Peter Catley
              > Napoleonic Association.

              square miles...

              square miles...

            • Roger Marsh
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
                Kevin and Peter,

                Since she is primarily interested in Naval re-enactment of the c.
                1800-1812 era, you might also direct the good Deb to HMS - the
                Historical Maritime Society - who, although not specifically based in
                Kent and with a considerable proportion of their membership further
                North within easier reach of the "Leda" - group frigate "Trincomalee"
                which they are associated (sister- ship to Broke's "Shannon", still
                afloat in Hartlepool), nevertheless have members all over Britain and
                re-enact in various places (e.g., nearer my locality, Hampshire, at
                IFOS, Portsmouth, last August). They are likely to be in operation
                sometimes at Chatham Historic Dockyard, Kent, I would surmise;
                anyway, she can ask.

                They are very, very knowledgeable on naval life of the period and a
                good crowd of people with an excellent sense of humour too; I had the
                honour of interacting with them in my persona of Pellew in 1801 at
                IFOS, particularly when escorting His Britannic Majesty GIII around
                his royal Dockyards.

                Website at: http://www.hms.org.uk/

                Regards,

                Roger Marsh

                --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...> wrote:
                > Of course, there are a number of units based around the
                Gillingham/Chatham
                > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put
                you in
                > touch with some of them.
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Peter Catley
                > Napoleonic Association.

              • Chewie
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
                  Hi Roger
                  In my email to Deb I did mention Chatham Division , Royal Marines , which last I heard were part of HMS .
                  I also added the other units that regularly attend Fort Amherst including my own .

                  Chewie
                  unit commander
                  50th West Kent Regiment Re Enactment Unit
                  " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"
                  Since she is primarily interested in Naval re-enactment of the 1812
                  era, you might also direct the good Deb to HMS - the Historical
                  Maritime Society - who, although not specifically based in Kent and
                  with a considerable proportion of their membership further North
                  within easier reach of the "Leda" - group frigate "Trincomalee" which
                  they are associated (sister- ship to Broke's "Shannon", still afloat
                  in Hartlepool), nevertheless have members all over Britain and re-
                  enact in various places (e.g., nearer my locality, Hampshire, at
                  IFOS, Portsmouth, last August). They are likely to be in operation
                  sometimes at Chatham Historic Dockyard, Kent, I would surmise;
                  anyway, she can ask.

                  They are very, very knowledgeable on naval life of the period and a
                  good crowd of people; I had the honour of interacting with them in my
                  persona of Pellew in 1801 at IFOS, particularly when escorting His
                  Britannic Majesty GIII around his royal Dockyards.

                  Website at: http://www.hms.org.uk/,

                  Regards,

                  Roger Marsh

                  --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...> wrote:
                  > Of course, there are a number of units based around the
                  Gillingham/Chatham
                  > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put
                  you in
                  > touch with some of them.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Peter Catley
                  > Napoleonic Association.

                • Roger Marsh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
                    Hi, Chewie.

                    I'm not sure quite of what is part of what here, not being a member
                    mysllf, but maybe I'll just copy Deb in on my message anyway.

                    Kind regards,

                    Roer Marsh