THE SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS AT BALACLAVA

  • Robert_Archerca@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2001
      Lest you think I am insulting your Regiment:
      I will read you this passage from a book I inherited from my
      Grandmother many years ago. The book is entitled

      SCOTLAND FOR EVER

      Campbell was suddenly shorn of two-thirds of the numerical strength
      engaged in defending the gorge, and the few hundred British soldiers
      who had hiktherto constituted but a fraction of his force were now
      almost all that remained to him upon the hillock in front of Kedikoi.
      Whist he waited the movements of an enemy who was altogether some
      24,000 or 25,000 strong, he could not help seeing how much was now
      made to depend upon the steadfastness of the few hundred mwn who
      remained with him still on the hillock. He had, however, so great a
      confidence in his Highlanders that he judges he could safely impart
      to them the gravity of the occasion. He rode down the line, and said:
      "Remember there is no retreat from here, men! You must die where you
      stand" The men cheerily answered his appeal, saying" Ay,Ay Sir Colin:
      we'll do that"...
      ( It goes on for another paragraph or two and then closes)

      Thus was easily brought to an end the advance of those horsemen who
      had found themselves, during a moment in front of a Highland
      battalion.

      Yr Obdt, Servent:
      RW Archer