Fort Osage Militia Muster

  • harris4t@rollanet.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2001
      What a great time! Captain Dave was not able to be at Mississinewa
      this year due to a death in the family but was there in full force at
      Osage. His lovely wife, Sally, worked as hard as hubby, putting
      together several of the special events, such as the Ladies Tea (the
      personal invitations to the Federal Ball to the ladies are still
      being savored by my lady-folk).
      The weather was great and the fall leaves as the Fort backdrop always
      leave their mark on my memory. Thanks to the ushers who toted the
      coffin of poor "Corporal Smith" to the cemetery for his internment.
      Thanks to Sgt. Thomas Verdot of Boone's Missouri Rangers for his
      smooth fiddle work in the Factory for the Ball. His wife, Sandy,
      showed incredible tolerance for us dancing bunglers as we attempted
      to stumble through basic dances that she called. The other
      musicians, sad to say, I know their names not, played marvelously and
      a great time was had by all.
      The tacticals were a hoot and the mounted Rangers added much to the
      Regulars, Rifles and Rangers (the Three R's)as we tangled with the
      copper-colored enemy. I was safe in the blockhouse, supporting the
      field movements of the other American forces (my 88 caliber Coach Gun
      boomed away happily above the troops).
      Planning for the War of 1812 in the West Symposium is now under way
      and all are invited to hear the great speakers at Fort Leavenworth,
      Kansas. This will be the 1st US and Boone's Missouri Rangers next big
      event. For all at Fort Osage, hope to see you at the Symposium!
      Yr Obedt Servt,
      Michael D. Harris
      The Despatch
      Captain Eli B. Clemson's Company of 1st US Infantry and Captain
      Nathan Boone's Company of US Missouri Territorial Rangers