Re: 1812 Militia Muster at Ft. Osage

  • manipi@msn.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2001
      Bob, I couldn't agree with you more.

      This year's event was the biggest and best one yet. With all the
      participants we filled the entire Fort. I was very pleased to see
      the Fort Atkinson group led by Capt. Earley Smith. There were many,
      many others in attendance and it all helped make the event an
      experience to be remembered. Next year's event will be the weekend
      after Mississinewa so it makes it difficult to do both, but if you
      can do it it is well worth the effort. I'll be there!

      We worked hard, played hard, ate well, and had a wonderful time doing
      it. The weather even cooperated, not a drop of rain all weekend!
      (We did have some on the drive home so I think we got lucky.)

      My hat goes off to Capt'ns Bennett & Smith, Lt Lundgren, Surgeon
      Dorian, all our NCO's & Rankers, and the washer women & children who
      made this event one to remember. Thanks to ALL!

      One last remark: The Marker for the Military Dead buried in the
      adjacent cememtary was the work of many years by Dave Bennett, Mike
      Harris and others of the 1st U.S./Missouri Rangers. It involved a
      lot of work and effort and it was an honor to be present for the
      commemoration a couple years ago. The event this year again honored
      those who not only were buried in that cememtary but all who have and
      will lose their lives in service to our country.

      Yr H'mbl & Ob't S'vnt,

      Tom Lawrence
      Pvt, US Infantry (1st & 7th Reg'ts)