Sharpe

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 2, 2001
      From: "thecheetah" <euan.wilkinson@...>

      What do you guys think of the Sharpe Series of books?

      Euan:

      take a tour through

      this subject raises it's head every six to eight months!
      ~ there are mega postings on this subject

      enjoy :-)
    • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2001
        Michael - I thought you were right on in your response. I have
        enjoyed the Sharpe novels, but I take them with a grain of salt -
        and I often cringe when Cornwell takes too much license with
        historical fact. I have enjoyed the TV series, although it takes
        even more license, and more cringing.

        Other people have cringed at Trafalgar. But Sharpe's description of
        the battle *itself* as really a non participant is not bad. Look at
        Cornwell's references for it - he certainly consulted the
        appropriate people.

        Doug

        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@m...> wrote:
        > Well, where to begin? They are entertaining historical *fiction*,
        woven around the Napoleonic Wars and slightly beyond. They follow
        the traditional, stereotypical image of the crude gutter-lout British
        soldier, most of whom have a heart of gold inside. The officer corps
        are largely either incompetent ego-maniacs or noble lads usually
        destined for an early exit. The French are typically brave and
        dedicated (where's the glory in beating a weak foe?) with one
        sympathetic officer who inevitably dies and one despicable Frenchman
        who often lingers through several books. The Spanish are usually
        portrayed in the worst possible light, once again in keeping with the
        popular stereotype.

        > There are factual errors both in terms of the armies and the
        tactics, though as a recurring theme it seems to be in order to
        perpetuate the popular myths.

        > Sharpe is not totally a superman, as he sometimes misses, sometimes
        has a misfire, and is frequently wounded. Though as a hero he will
        survive near certain death at least once a book, usually in a
        plausible manner. He is sometimes outsmarted in the short term, but
        his street smarts will always prevail in the end.

        > As is often the case with a successful series, the author has taken
        Sharpie (I love the character of Sgt. Hakeswill, especially as played
        in the TV series) to too many places, and been at the heart of too
        many events. I followed him through the Peninsula to South America,
        and then back to India. but when he showed up at Trafalgar I dropped
        out. Perhaps when I've read everything else pending in my library....

        > The TV series did more good than harm IMO. While perpetuating some
        myths it also created a renewed interest in the Peninsula War and as
        a sideline, reenacting. It then behooves us to take the interested
        neophyte and lead them to the correct path(s).

        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Michael

        fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2002
          From: "Raymond Hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>

          > Interesting that the 24th (and indeed the 23rd - Royal Welch Fusliers)
          > were present at so many battles in the Peninsula - yet they are
          > completely ignored by Bernard Cornwell in his Sharpe books.

          We didn't have our eyes on you Sharpie!

          Cuz last night it was HORNBLOWER "The Duel"
          on the telly
        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2002
            Cornwall ignores almost all the Regiments in the Peninsula. He only really
            mentions the rifle regiments and the fictious "South Essex".

            The 1/23rd (Royal Welsh Fusiliers) and 2/24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiments
            have a fine history in the Peninsula war. I don't know off hand where the
            1/24th served at this period.

            Peter Catley

            > Interesting that the 24th (and indeed the 23rd - Royal Welch Fusliers)
            > were present at so many battles in the Peninsula - yet they are
            > completely ignored by Bernard Cornwell in his Sharpe books.

            We didn't have our eyes on you Sharpie!

            Cuz last night it was HORNBLOWER "The Duel"
            on the telly

            square miles...