Re: [WarOf1812] St. Leonard's Creek

  • Terry Crabb
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
      On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 easeufe@... wrote:

      > We did have a smaller event and most of the units spent the time talking to
      > the public about the events of 1814 and how they relate to our modern times.

      Though I would have enjoyed the opportunity to help take that battery on
      the hill, spending time with the public proved to be very satisfying.

      It's quite amazing to me how thrilled they are when they see that shower
      of sparks coming off the hammer - the kids too!

      The "ship's carpenter" demonstration put on by a member of the Royal
      Marines proved that people love to watch someone else working. He had
      quite a crowd around him, as he created some bench seats out of scraps of
      wood.

      --
      Terry Crabb
      44th Regt of Foot
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
        It is interesting to note that US forces burned down the public
        buildings of York, capitol of Upper Canada (but not private
        residences as has been alleged by some). Also the whole town of
        Newark (the previous capitol), both public and private. But I
        suppose in the scheme of things these don't count as much as the
        Washington buildings, unless they can be claimed as the reason for
        the British actions at Washington. By the way, I understand that the
        Navy Yard in Washington was torched by US forces themselves -
        except for the Commandant's house (which still exists) - but that
        is another story. Doug

      • easeufe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
          In a message dated 10/2/01 7:28:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          colsjtjones2000@... writes:

          > in the scheme of things these don't count as much as the
          > Washington buildings, unless they can be claimed as the reason for
          > the British actions at Washington. By the way, I understand that the
          > Navy Yard in Washington was torched by US forces themselves -
          > except for the Commandant's house (which still exists) -

          Walter Lord says that European sympathy swung to the America side when the
          news of Washington's destruction became known. From the Journal de Paris, he
          quotes, "How could a nation eminently civlized, conduct itself at Washington
          with as much barbarity as the old banditti of Attila and Genseric? Is not
          this act of atrocious vengeance a crime against all humanity?"

          And Hampton, Havre De Grace, Frenchtown, Fredericktown and Georgetown were
          all partially torched; the last four in late April/early May 1813 at the same
          time York was being attacked. Were they the reasons for Newark? I doubt.

          Yes, the US Navy torched the Navy Yard and indeed the commandants house still
          stands but was looted of all its valuables. Most of the looting that took
          place in the city was done after the British forces left.

          For all the destruction, it seems that the British wounded from Bladensburg
          who had to be left behind were well treated and cared for as POWs. Thornton
          recovered fast enough to command again at New Orleans.

          Ed Seufert, LCpl
          1812 Royal Marines
          1st Co/2nd Batt RM

        • Vince Wilding
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
            I'm So Confused!!!

            Today is June 26, the anniversary of the battle of St Leonard's Creek.

            Why is the reenactment in September?

            I hope to go to the tavern night, anywho.

            --
            Vince Wilding (Splotch, Fuzzee and Minnie's Majordomo)
            Vince (at) VinceWilding (dot) com --- http://www.VinceWilding.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
              Greetings List,
              I know that My Wife & I would go there for the event
              if it was any other week-end than in Sept.!
              Jim Brown