Re: [WarOf1812] St. Leonard's Creek

  • easeufe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2001
      In a message dated 10/1/01 9:55:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      vince@... writes:

      > There was a write-up in the Washington Post:
      >
      > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47201-2001Sep29.html
      >
      > The story proves my belief that after you read a newspaper article, you
      > have a pretty good idea of what DIDN'T happen.

      It also goes to prove that what made it into print was not necessarily what
      you said! I tried to make the reporter understand that the burning of the
      public buildings was a mistake that was decried by even some of the
      governments in Europe. It also helped unite the country and parallels todays
      events.

      We did have a smaller event and most of the units spent the time talking to
      the public about the events of 1814 and how they relate to our modern times.

      But as Vince said, tavern night was great. With two different groups, we had
      over 4 and a half hours of quality entertainment.

      Ed Seufert, LCpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      1st Co/2nd Batt RM

    • Terry Crabb
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
        On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 easeufe@... wrote:

        > We did have a smaller event and most of the units spent the time talking to
        > the public about the events of 1814 and how they relate to our modern times.

        Though I would have enjoyed the opportunity to help take that battery on
        the hill, spending time with the public proved to be very satisfying.

        It's quite amazing to me how thrilled they are when they see that shower
        of sparks coming off the hammer - the kids too!

        The "ship's carpenter" demonstration put on by a member of the Royal
        Marines proved that people love to watch someone else working. He had
        quite a crowd around him, as he created some bench seats out of scraps of
        wood.

        --
        Terry Crabb
        44th Regt of Foot
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
          It is interesting to note that US forces burned down the public
          buildings of York, capitol of Upper Canada (but not private
          residences as has been alleged by some). Also the whole town of
          Newark (the previous capitol), both public and private. But I
          suppose in the scheme of things these don't count as much as the
          Washington buildings, unless they can be claimed as the reason for
          the British actions at Washington. By the way, I understand that the
          Navy Yard in Washington was torched by US forces themselves -
          except for the Commandant's house (which still exists) - but that
          is another story. Doug

        • easeufe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
            In a message dated 10/2/01 7:28:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            colsjtjones2000@... writes:

            > in the scheme of things these don't count as much as the
            > Washington buildings, unless they can be claimed as the reason for
            > the British actions at Washington. By the way, I understand that the
            > Navy Yard in Washington was torched by US forces themselves -
            > except for the Commandant's house (which still exists) -

            Walter Lord says that European sympathy swung to the America side when the
            news of Washington's destruction became known. From the Journal de Paris, he
            quotes, "How could a nation eminently civlized, conduct itself at Washington
            with as much barbarity as the old banditti of Attila and Genseric? Is not
            this act of atrocious vengeance a crime against all humanity?"

            And Hampton, Havre De Grace, Frenchtown, Fredericktown and Georgetown were
            all partially torched; the last four in late April/early May 1813 at the same
            time York was being attacked. Were they the reasons for Newark? I doubt.

            Yes, the US Navy torched the Navy Yard and indeed the commandants house still
            stands but was looted of all its valuables. Most of the looting that took
            place in the city was done after the British forces left.

            For all the destruction, it seems that the British wounded from Bladensburg
            who had to be left behind were well treated and cared for as POWs. Thornton
            recovered fast enough to command again at New Orleans.

            Ed Seufert, LCpl
            1812 Royal Marines
            1st Co/2nd Batt RM

          • Vince Wilding
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
              I'm So Confused!!!

              Today is June 26, the anniversary of the battle of St Leonard's Creek.

              Why is the reenactment in September?

              I hope to go to the tavern night, anywho.

              --
              Vince Wilding (Splotch, Fuzzee and Minnie's Majordomo)
              Vince (at) VinceWilding (dot) com --- http://www.VinceWilding.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                Greetings List,
                I know that My Wife & I would go there for the event
                if it was any other week-end than in Sept.!
                Jim Brown