St. Leonard's Creek

  • Jeffrey Edmunds, Sr.
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2001
      Esteemed Liste:

      How about an after-action report from those of you who were so
      fortunate as to attend this Maryland event last weekend?

      I have the honor, and etc.,
      Jeffrey Edmunds
    • Vince Wilding
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2001
        There was a write-up in the Washington Post:

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47201-2001Sep29.html

        The story proves my belief that after you read a newspaper article, you
        have a pretty good idea of what DIDN'T happen. The article states that
        the park management decided not to cancel the event, but the skirmishes
        were cancel led. Truth is, the reenacting community begged pleaded and
        cajoled to get the management to not cancel. There were some firing
        demos (great example of the sound difference between a musket and a
        rifle) and we fired off our four pounder. We were in competition with
        the Calvert County Fair, but a good public turnout.

        The emphasis was on education, paralleling the events with the recent
        tragedy, how the burning of Washington galvanized the nation's resolve
        etc...

        To top it off, Tavern Night was a hoot!

        --
        Vince Wilding (Splotch, Fuzzee & Minnie's Majordomo)
        Vince (at) VinceWilding (dot) com --- http://www.VinceWilding.com

      • easeufe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2001
          In a message dated 10/1/01 9:55:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          vince@... writes:

          > There was a write-up in the Washington Post:
          >
          > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47201-2001Sep29.html
          >
          > The story proves my belief that after you read a newspaper article, you
          > have a pretty good idea of what DIDN'T happen.

          It also goes to prove that what made it into print was not necessarily what
          you said! I tried to make the reporter understand that the burning of the
          public buildings was a mistake that was decried by even some of the
          governments in Europe. It also helped unite the country and parallels todays
          events.

          We did have a smaller event and most of the units spent the time talking to
          the public about the events of 1814 and how they relate to our modern times.

          But as Vince said, tavern night was great. With two different groups, we had
          over 4 and a half hours of quality entertainment.

          Ed Seufert, LCpl
          1812 Royal Marines
          1st Co/2nd Batt RM

        • Terry Crabb
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
            On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 easeufe@... wrote:

            > We did have a smaller event and most of the units spent the time talking to
            > the public about the events of 1814 and how they relate to our modern times.

            Though I would have enjoyed the opportunity to help take that battery on
            the hill, spending time with the public proved to be very satisfying.

            It's quite amazing to me how thrilled they are when they see that shower
            of sparks coming off the hammer - the kids too!

            The "ship's carpenter" demonstration put on by a member of the Royal
            Marines proved that people love to watch someone else working. He had
            quite a crowd around him, as he created some bench seats out of scraps of
            wood.

            --
            Terry Crabb
            44th Regt of Foot
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
              It is interesting to note that US forces burned down the public
              buildings of York, capitol of Upper Canada (but not private
              residences as has been alleged by some). Also the whole town of
              Newark (the previous capitol), both public and private. But I
              suppose in the scheme of things these don't count as much as the
              Washington buildings, unless they can be claimed as the reason for
              the British actions at Washington. By the way, I understand that the
              Navy Yard in Washington was torched by US forces themselves -
              except for the Commandant's house (which still exists) - but that
              is another story. Doug

            • easeufe@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
                In a message dated 10/2/01 7:28:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                colsjtjones2000@... writes:

                > in the scheme of things these don't count as much as the
                > Washington buildings, unless they can be claimed as the reason for
                > the British actions at Washington. By the way, I understand that the
                > Navy Yard in Washington was torched by US forces themselves -
                > except for the Commandant's house (which still exists) -

                Walter Lord says that European sympathy swung to the America side when the
                news of Washington's destruction became known. From the Journal de Paris, he
                quotes, "How could a nation eminently civlized, conduct itself at Washington
                with as much barbarity as the old banditti of Attila and Genseric? Is not
                this act of atrocious vengeance a crime against all humanity?"

                And Hampton, Havre De Grace, Frenchtown, Fredericktown and Georgetown were
                all partially torched; the last four in late April/early May 1813 at the same
                time York was being attacked. Were they the reasons for Newark? I doubt.

                Yes, the US Navy torched the Navy Yard and indeed the commandants house still
                stands but was looted of all its valuables. Most of the looting that took
                place in the city was done after the British forces left.

                For all the destruction, it seems that the British wounded from Bladensburg
                who had to be left behind were well treated and cared for as POWs. Thornton
                recovered fast enough to command again at New Orleans.

                Ed Seufert, LCpl
                1812 Royal Marines
                1st Co/2nd Batt RM

              • Vince Wilding
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
                  I'm So Confused!!!

                  Today is June 26, the anniversary of the battle of St Leonard's Creek.

                  Why is the reenactment in September?

                  I hope to go to the tavern night, anywho.

                  --
                  Vince Wilding (Splotch, Fuzzee and Minnie's Majordomo)
                  Vince (at) VinceWilding (dot) com --- http://www.VinceWilding.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Greetings List,
                    I know that My Wife & I would go there for the event
                    if it was any other week-end than in Sept.!
                    Jim Brown