Crossing the boarder with muskets

  • Antoine Landrieaux
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2001
      List,

      I have just returned from our muster at Pine City NWC Fur Post.

      There was no delay at the boarder. We were asked the usual round of
      questions, ie, who are you and were are you going, etc.

      In addition to the US Customs and Immigration official, there was a
      Minnesota State Trooper, who inspected the vehicle and contents.

      He was polite and efficient. He smiled and told us to enjoy our weekend.

      The guy in line behind me was a single male, early thirty's. He had out of
      province plates. He was invited into the customs building, and his car was
      parked off to the side. Don't ask me why, he just was.

      I pulled into the parking lot, and went into the US Customs office. I asked
      about the problem with bringing muskets across the boarder for Mississinewa.

      I was told by the officer there, (she wore a Lt.'s bar on her shoulder,) all
      we had to do was follow the usual proceedure we had always used, and that to
      have them ready for inspection, if required.

      That was it.

      As for the event, it was great. We all wore our red, white, and blue
      rosettes, and all of our American friends were appreciative.
      As a matter of fact, we, had nothing to do because our muskets were at home.
      So we went into the local Wal-Mart and purchased all the red, white, and
      blue ribbon they had.
      My wife and I sat outside our tent and made rosettes all weekend long, for
      our fellow re-enactors, and the public alike.
      We accepted contributions, donations and help. We taught a bunch of people
      how to make their own.
      On Sunday afternoon, at the closing ceremony, my wife handed over $120.00USD
      to the hosts, to donate to the American Red Cross, in the name of the
      Friends of the Northwest Company.
      The rosette campaign has caught on in Minnesota, can we start it going in
      other places, as well?

      YH&OSvt.,

      Jim Keigher, aka

      Capt. Antoine Landrieaux