Royal Marine Officers

  • jeverett@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5 3:15 PM
      A question was asked of me for which I could not give a definite
      answer. How did one become an officer in the Royal Marines, and how
      was one promoted? (Lots of info on RN, Army, and UK and UC militia,
      but not RM.)

      I would guess it was not unlike other officers in the Royal Navy,
      applications being made with proper letters of recommendation, etc.
      Advancement being a mixture of seniority, influence, and
      recognized exhibitions of bravery, etc. Is anybody familiar with the
      procedures?

      Thanks,
      Jason Everett
    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5 5:05 PM
        jeverett@... writes:

        > I would guess it was not unlike other officers in the Royal Navy,
        > applications being made with proper letters of recommendation, etc.

        You guessed it! Marine Officers were appointed by the Admiralty usually
        through influence and promotion was strictly by seniority. The major
        complaint of Marine officers was that promotion was too slow. In 'Britain's
        Sea-Soldiers', there is a poem written in 1846 lamenting the slowness of
        promotion.

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
        1st Co/2nd Batt RM