Re: Transporting Bess

  • Scott McDonald
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
      A member of our unit from New Orleans (not a list member) will be winging
      his way to Misisenawa and has enquired about the best way to pack up his
      2nd model Italian made Brown Bess. I thought I would run this by the list
      to get some direction. A few members of our unit, including myself, have
      built boxes but they are a little heavy and cumbersome. So he is interested
      in how members of other units pack up their weapons when they fly to
      events. If you have an off-the-shelf gun case please let us know where to
      order it, as he is having difficulty finding one long enough.

      Thanks in advance-
      Scott McDonald
      93rd
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
        From: "Scott McDonald" <raintree@...>

        how members of other units pack up their weapons when
        they fly to events.

        We from the south-western part of the Province of Ontario
        purchased fly fishing rod cases of nylon, long enough,
        strong and light for our flight to Waterloo Belgium 1990
        & 1995.
        They were locked and wrapped both ends with duct
        tape and passed all flight rules for our Bess's.
      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
          Cabela's outfitters make an airline approved gun box for long arms. I believe I paid $80US for mine. It's well padded and can carry two muskets or one musket and some accessories. The three locks are a bit weak though, so I added a pair of clip on straps for extra strength while keeping it accessible for the rare occasion when an airline person wants to see inside. They have a website and ordering can occur online.

          Hope this helps.

          Michael

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
            Scott,

            A number of the members of my unit bought Fenwick hi-tech fly rod
            cases for our trip to Belgium in 1990. I had room for my musket,
            bayonet, gaiters and boots. It has four catches and can be locked.
            Reminder your friend to check his bayonet through with the musket.
            Some of our guys wore their uniforms on the plane and got in trouble
            for trying to carry the bayonet on board.

            Dave.
          • Peter Catley
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
              How about any adjustable rigid ski case? I use a snotube :)

              Peter Catley

              A member of our unit from New Orleans (not a list member) will be winging
              his way to Misisenawa and has enquired about the best way to pack up his
              2nd model Italian made Brown Bess. I thought I would run this by the list
              to get some direction. A few members of our unit, including myself, have
              built boxes but they are a little heavy and cumbersome. So he is interested
              in how members of other units pack up their weapons when they fly to
              events. If you have an off-the-shelf gun case please let us know where to
              order it, as he is having difficulty finding one long enough.

              Thanks in advance-
              Scott McDonald
              93rd

              square miles...

            • Scott McDonald
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
                Thanks to Larry, Michael, Dave and Peter for all the suggestions. I have
                passed them along.
                Scott McD.