Gun Dealers and Builders

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
      For those who have asked.

      " where can I buy that gun?"

      http://www.longrifles.com/Home/Guns/guns.html
    • Scott McDonald
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
        A member of our unit from New Orleans (not a list member) will be winging
        his way to Misisenawa and has enquired about the best way to pack up his
        2nd model Italian made Brown Bess. I thought I would run this by the list
        to get some direction. A few members of our unit, including myself, have
        built boxes but they are a little heavy and cumbersome. So he is interested
        in how members of other units pack up their weapons when they fly to
        events. If you have an off-the-shelf gun case please let us know where to
        order it, as he is having difficulty finding one long enough.

        Thanks in advance-
        Scott McDonald
        93rd
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
          From: "Scott McDonald" <raintree@...>

          how members of other units pack up their weapons when
          they fly to events.

          We from the south-western part of the Province of Ontario
          purchased fly fishing rod cases of nylon, long enough,
          strong and light for our flight to Waterloo Belgium 1990
          & 1995.
          They were locked and wrapped both ends with duct
          tape and passed all flight rules for our Bess's.
        • PEGGY MATHEWS
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
            Cabela's outfitters make an airline approved gun box for long arms. I believe I paid $80US for mine. It's well padded and can carry two muskets or one musket and some accessories. The three locks are a bit weak though, so I added a pair of clip on straps for extra strength while keeping it accessible for the rare occasion when an airline person wants to see inside. They have a website and ordering can occur online.

            Hope this helps.

            Michael

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
              Scott,

              A number of the members of my unit bought Fenwick hi-tech fly rod
              cases for our trip to Belgium in 1990. I had room for my musket,
              bayonet, gaiters and boots. It has four catches and can be locked.
              Reminder your friend to check his bayonet through with the musket.
              Some of our guys wore their uniforms on the plane and got in trouble
              for trying to carry the bayonet on board.

              Dave.
            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
                How about any adjustable rigid ski case? I use a snotube :)

                Peter Catley

                A member of our unit from New Orleans (not a list member) will be winging
                his way to Misisenawa and has enquired about the best way to pack up his
                2nd model Italian made Brown Bess. I thought I would run this by the list
                to get some direction. A few members of our unit, including myself, have
                built boxes but they are a little heavy and cumbersome. So he is interested
                in how members of other units pack up their weapons when they fly to
                events. If you have an off-the-shelf gun case please let us know where to
                order it, as he is having difficulty finding one long enough.

                Thanks in advance-
                Scott McDonald
                93rd

                square miles...

              • Scott McDonald
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
                  Thanks to Larry, Michael, Dave and Peter for all the suggestions. I have
                  passed them along.
                  Scott McD.