Roller Buckles

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2001
      Are they appropriate for our timeline? I've always thought no, but recently I've been seeing items constructed with roller buckles by reputable folks. Anyone document when they came into common military usage?

      Thanks in advance.

      Michael

      "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2001
        Hi Michael,

        I regret that I have no specific documentation, but, that said, I have
        had several discussions with Steve Allie, Director of the Frontier Army
        Museum, member of the list and Cpt. of the 14th Light Dragoons (Fighting
        Tangerines :-] )
        and he has examined a very large number of military items with buckles
        and he is of the opinion that roller buckles don't appear on US gear
        until the 1830's. He is firm in the belief that they are not
        appropriate for the Napoleonic period.

        Regards,

        Bob Dorian
        Volunteer, Frontier Army Museum, Fort Leavenworth, KS, USA
      • Leonard E Heidebrecht
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
          Hi All,
          Roller buckles first seem to appear in mass production in Sheffield in the early 1840s. They are shown in a number of tool catalogues in the leather working sections.
          I haven't seen a single example predating this time (and I've looked) either at digs or on items that are precisely dated to our period.
          Could they have been in place but have been worn off or fallen apart? Possibly, but unlikely.
          Cheers
          Len

          Get 250 color business cards for FREE!