Re: get a grip: contribute something yourself

  • Andrew Bateman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 1999
      Betsy Bashore wrote:

      > To the whiners of the list--
      >
      > Last weekend a message appeared about ZZZZZZZ how boring it was since the
      > weather was nice at Longwoods. <snip>

      Andrew writes,

      As the contributor of the original ZZZZZZ post, I feel I must respond
      and clarify myself. I posted a joke that seems to have been
      misinterpreted badly.

      I work at a civil engineering firm where I am on a computer most of the
      day, so I monitor my Email constantly and read my messages as they
      arrive, including the 1812 ones. I can usually count on a stack of them
      with my morning coffee and several more flying back and forth throughout
      the day, but (as it happens) on Monday I didn't get a single one, which
      is very unusual for this List. Finally around 2:30 I posted my
      "Zzzzzzz" message, hoping to provoke a smile and maybe a response from
      someone. I did, in fact, provoke one from Greg Schultz. He laughed
      about the lack of "spice" on the List that particular day, put it down
      to the somnolent effects of the weather at Longwoods, and predicted more
      "volleys" soon.

      My first inkling that I may have offended someone was in Ms. Bashore's
      post to Tim Pickles the other day where she made some oblique comment to
      him about people who seem to find it boring when she and he are not at
      each other's cyberthroats. At the time I did not understand why Ms.
      Bashore would have assumed that my post was directed at her, but I
      (perhaps unwisely) decided to let sleeping worms lie and held my
      tongue. I thought Greg's response to Ms. Bashore's sarcasm was
      sufficient. The "whiners" comment, however, was too much!

      Perhaps I did not take sufficient account of the varying Email reading
      habits of the people on this List. In retrospect I can see that someone
      who reads their mail only once a day (or less) or gets it in "digest"
      mode could perhaps not have been expected to understand my joke unless
      they looked closely at the time stamps on the messages in their stack
      and used some deductive reasoning. Failing that, I now see that they
      may have started looking at the content - rather than the timing - of
      the messages on the List for another explanation as to why I seemed
      bored. The recent lack of personal attacks on the List then suggested
      itself, and a misunderstanding was born.

      BTW, I'm the wrong one to single out for lack of contribution! I
      realize that my 5-part opus on building a musket is now ancient history,
      and I post more questions than answers, but that is what learning is
      about! Sheesh...

      Andrew Bateman
      Pte. (and Chief Whiner) 41st ROF