get a grip: contribute something yourself

  • Betsy Bashore
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 1999
      To the whiners of the list--

      Last weekend a message appeared about ZZZZZZZ how boring it was since the
      weather was nice at Longwoods. Greg missed the point that, when we discuss the
      US side of the issue from a British vantage, the fur files (Tim can attest)
      and perhaps its a bit more interesting. Having written a substantial number of
      rebuttals from the US vantage point, I believe I have license to rattle.

      If you don't like what you're reading, try asking a question or contributing
      (concept!). I keep saying "I will not read I will not read" (my blood
      pressure can only take so much).

      But I read on and occasionally have something to share or a different opinion
      or information on a subject. And if nothing else, I can always needle the
      opposition.

      Now see, a slight comment on superior British musketfire has led to a lively
      discussion of battle tactics.

      Get a grip--

      Hey Terry, can I join your censored writers group? Oh but I'm not as special
      as you yet.

      Betsy Bashore
    • Andrew Bateman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 1999
        Betsy Bashore wrote:

        > To the whiners of the list--
        >
        > Last weekend a message appeared about ZZZZZZZ how boring it was since the
        > weather was nice at Longwoods. <snip>

        Andrew writes,

        As the contributor of the original ZZZZZZ post, I feel I must respond
        and clarify myself. I posted a joke that seems to have been
        misinterpreted badly.

        I work at a civil engineering firm where I am on a computer most of the
        day, so I monitor my Email constantly and read my messages as they
        arrive, including the 1812 ones. I can usually count on a stack of them
        with my morning coffee and several more flying back and forth throughout
        the day, but (as it happens) on Monday I didn't get a single one, which
        is very unusual for this List. Finally around 2:30 I posted my
        "Zzzzzzz" message, hoping to provoke a smile and maybe a response from
        someone. I did, in fact, provoke one from Greg Schultz. He laughed
        about the lack of "spice" on the List that particular day, put it down
        to the somnolent effects of the weather at Longwoods, and predicted more
        "volleys" soon.

        My first inkling that I may have offended someone was in Ms. Bashore's
        post to Tim Pickles the other day where she made some oblique comment to
        him about people who seem to find it boring when she and he are not at
        each other's cyberthroats. At the time I did not understand why Ms.
        Bashore would have assumed that my post was directed at her, but I
        (perhaps unwisely) decided to let sleeping worms lie and held my
        tongue. I thought Greg's response to Ms. Bashore's sarcasm was
        sufficient. The "whiners" comment, however, was too much!

        Perhaps I did not take sufficient account of the varying Email reading
        habits of the people on this List. In retrospect I can see that someone
        who reads their mail only once a day (or less) or gets it in "digest"
        mode could perhaps not have been expected to understand my joke unless
        they looked closely at the time stamps on the messages in their stack
        and used some deductive reasoning. Failing that, I now see that they
        may have started looking at the content - rather than the timing - of
        the messages on the List for another explanation as to why I seemed
        bored. The recent lack of personal attacks on the List then suggested
        itself, and a misunderstanding was born.

        BTW, I'm the wrong one to single out for lack of contribution! I
        realize that my 5-part opus on building a musket is now ancient history,
        and I post more questions than answers, but that is what learning is
        about! Sheesh...

        Andrew Bateman
        Pte. (and Chief Whiner) 41st ROF