Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Manners and the 89th.

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
      My, my. That is the first time I have heard an NCO of the 89th being described as having 'impeccable manners'! Yoiks, they were the curse of the Head of the Lake when
      stationed here, and developed an unenviable reputation as uncontrollable Irishmen. 'Good breeding...' Harumph! ;->)
      Ray Hobbs
      Pte #4133
      1/41st Regiment of Foot - later the WELCH Regiment

      Five Rivers wrote:

      > Good Mr. Windsor,
      >
      > I would have you know you are always welcome in our home, despite your
      > dress, because your impeccable manners are simply an inherent part of your
      > good breeding; and good manners, above all else, prove the quality of a
      > person.
      >
      > as always
      > Lorina
      > Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage
      > fine hand-sewn embroidered garments, historical sewing patterns & embroidery
      > supplies
      > (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
      > info@...

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
        Indeed the good private #4133 is correct. They were so bad that Lt Gen Drummond called an inquest into their conduct in Ancaster during the war. Although personally I
        think it was those guys from the 8th or the 19th LD trying to pin it on the Irishman, poor unsuspecting innocent souls (hic..sorry)
        My manners do come out when I have my fancy duds on though! I must be all that gold that brings out manners (hic..sorry)

        Raymond Hobbs wrote:

        > My, my. That is the first time I have heard an NCO of the 89th being described as having 'impeccable manners'! Yoiks, they were the curse of the Head of the Lake when
        > stationed here, and developed an unenviable reputation as uncontrollable Irishmen. 'Good breeding...' Harumph! ;->)
        > Ray Hobbs
        > Pte #4133
        > 1/41st Regiment of Foot - later the WELCH Regiment

      • Cpl. Wattie
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
          Ummm ... isn't "uncontrollable Irishmen" redundant?
          ;-)
        • dancingbobd@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
            Hi,

            Well said Cpl. Wattie! Being 1/4 Irish I feel that I can agree without
            fear of too much reprisal. Also 1/4 each English, Welsh and French.
            Now you all know why I am so confused sometimes!
            :-)

            Regards,

            Bob
          • Five Rivers
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2001
              Gentlemen,

              Hopeless, you are. Truly, sadly, hopeless.

              (Sigh. And I had so looked forward to a civil and enlightened evening of
              laughter, wit and restrained imbibing.)

              Lorina