Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Soldier's Wife

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
      Mmmm! Linda, I wonder whether this was so. The 41st Regiment of Foot, of honoured memory, were stationed in the Canadas for sixteen years (1799-1815). Would the
      married rank and file be considered dead because of this? The matter - like all we raise - was more complex.
      YH&OS
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st Regiment of Foot (CD)

      Five Rivers wrote:

      > My books are still packed and so I cannot quote the source, but my
      > recollection is there was a common law in England stating if after seven
      > years a husband (or wife) had not returned they were considered dead and the
      > remaining spouse was free to remarry, barring any caveats the Church (Rome
      > or England) might have placed upon the couple.
      >
      > Lorina
      > Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage
      > fine hand-sewn embroidered garments, historical sewing patterns & embroidery
      > supplies
      > (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
      > info@...

    • Shawn Cromett
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
        According to Haythornewaite's Wellington's Army, wives who were not
        selected by the lottery to accompany their soldier husbands were to
        return to their home parish, where they would be supported by that
        parish until their husband's return. Being on parish charity, was I'm
        sure, a very miserable experience. I have no idea if there was any
        communication from the regimental depot with the parishes to keep the
        wives informed on their husband's survival or not, though presumably
        there would have been, if nothing else, to know when the now widow
        was to be cut off from any more financial aid.

        ~Shawn
      • petemonahan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
          Erika

          Re your "soldier's wives" question:

          As someone has already pointed out, the Br. Army kept impecable records, so
          that presumably anyone recorded as married "on the strength" would be carried
          as such even if he and his wife were separated. On the other hand, only six
          men per hundred were to be married (officially) per regulations and that was
          the number authorized to take dependants overseas. Therefore, it follows
          that in most regiments many of the 'married' men would have either married
          without permission or simply be living as 'married" with women regarded by
          all except the (War Department ) as their wives. It's also almost certainly
          the case that a large percentage of the couples from the social classes in
          which the Br. Army recruited never went before a parson. Men and women
          simply "took up together" and were regarded be one and all as married as long
          as they chooses to live as a couple.

          Having said all that, through in the fact that on campaign women who were
          widowed might have as liittle as 72 hours to "re-marry" before a colonel
          could legally declare them "lose women" and have them drummed out of camp.
          Obviously such "marriages" were a matter of common knowledge and company or
          battalion level paper-work, not civil or divine ceremony.

          Combine all these facts with the certainty that almost no private soldier
          shipped out without his "wife" would ever see her again and the extreme
          unlikelihood that he would be able to send her financial suport and it
          becomes a virtual certainty that women "left on the docks" were considered
          for all practical purposes to have been divorced/widowed! There are in fact
          any number of accounts of old soldiers eventually making their way home to
          find wives re-married - which would be regraded as unfortunate/tragic but in
          no way a slur on the woman. Her alternatives, after all, were starving or
          "going on the game" and selling her body. (In fact in rural England as late
          as the 1820's, literally selling an unsatisfactory wife was not unheard of
          either.) Those old folk songs about dressing up as a man and going along
          with her man to the wars probably had more to do with desperation than an
          excess of romantic love and passion: marriage was an economic necessity for
          women in the 19th century, as the world of women (at least lower class ones)
          was divided into girls, wives, very poor widows and whores!

          A long-winded answer to your question, but I wanted to give you the reasoning
          behind it: any abondoned wife would be regarded as simply doing what she had
          to to survive if she took a new husband if her husband went to the wars; no
          surprise, no shame, simply "the way things worked". Hope all this helps!

          Your most humble and obedient servant,
          Peter Monahan, Corporal, Royal Newfoundland Regiment
        • petemonahan@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
            Erika

            Just read some of the other answer's to your query. Both the "seven year
            rule" and "parish charity" are correct so far as they go, which would be: if
            she had papers showing she was officially married "on the strength" and if
            the parish would accept them. Keep in mind that clearing out the parish
            workhouse was often done by having the men recruited into the Army: "Good
            luck and don't ever come back!" Alzo, seven years would be a h--l of a time
            to wait on widowhood, living on grass soup the while, so, as with today, what
            the law said and what people did might be markedly different. If you're
            working up an historic impression, claiming that your hubby went for a
            soldier several years aggo and you've got a new one would undoubtedly be
            historically accurate in many many cases!

            Yr M H & O
            P. Monahan
          • yawors1@uwindsor.ca
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
              Five Rivers wrote:

              [snip] my recollection is there was a common law in England stating if
              after seven years a husband (or wife) had not returned they were considered
              dead and the remaining spouse was free to remarry, barring any caveats the
              Church (Rome or England) might have placed upon the couple.

              Lorina

              Ray Hobbs added:
              Mmmm! Linda, I wonder whether this was so. The 41st Regiment of Foot, of
              honoured memory, were stationed in the Canadas for sixteen years
              (1799-1815). Would the married rank and file be considered dead because of
              this? The matter - like all we raise - was more complex.
              YH&OS
              Ray Hobbs
              1/41st Regiment of Foot (CD)

              Jim adds: I think the Common Law says 7 years absence = "legally" dead.
              But "absence" means: whereabouts totally unknown.
              Which of course would not apply if everyone knows one was serving on
              blockade duty on one of HM ships, or garrisoning a hill station in India,
              etc...
              Now, if the soldier or sailor deserted , and then "disappeared" for seven
              years, or went missing in action etc., the wife could apply for an order
              that he was legally dead... which makes her a widow, who could then legally
              remarry.