Re: [WarOf1812] Hosts...

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
      In a message dated 1/08/01 2:06:00 PM, dave8365@... writes:

      << For your edification, however, allow me to inform you that, whether making
      courtesy call, or being sent on official duty (which, you must admit, is very
      dry work...) it is customary for those being visited to assume the role of
      host, and provide appropriate refreshments and light comestibles...though,
      due to the exigencies of battle (and the possibility of being served an
      opossum petit foure), I have overlooked wihtout previous comment the absence
      of tasty snacks in my previous visits to the American lines. >>

      I dare say the good ensign is rather correct here on formality, and for
      meself I recall many an instance of the sending of good cigars (yes they ARE
      period...don't get me started..) to fellow officers whom happen to be
      inhabiting the enemy position, and with nary a "thank ye" blown my way.
      (Well, sometimes there was a thnk ye, sometimes not, QED, as it were, ...)
      Hmmph and piddel.
      Though I dare say the Good USA Engineer Dorian is as fine a gentleman as one
      could meet. Or least meet outside of London.
      And the good ensign can certainly outdance me, but then I'm gettin' on in
      years...
      I'm gong back to sleep now...zzzzzzz
      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com
    • Five Rivers
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
        I quite agree, Sirs, any civilized person should carry their own supply
        of libations and comestibles. Why the good cooper and I always keep in a
        good store of port, sherry and (dare I say it?) single malt. It keeps the
        day in perspective. And good coffee in the morning, of'times with a little
        aniseed to settle the system.

        Lorina
        the cooper's wife
        supplies
        (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
        info@...
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
          Lorina you shouldn't advertise that, I know where you work and I may have to stop it for a wee drop o da crather, or a fine glass of port. ( it depends on whether or not
          I have the fancy duds on if I bring my manners)

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
            Good Mr. Windsor,

            I would have you know you are always welcome in our home, despite your
            dress, because your impeccable manners are simply an inherent part of your
            good breeding; and good manners, above all else, prove the quality of a
            person.

            as always
            Lorina