Hosts...

  • dave8365@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      In a message dated 8/1/2001 1:35:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I can picture in my mind you with your cup in hand, and it's not a
      > pretty sight. You would find a better reception as an Ensign if you had
      > a bottle of port in the other! :-) I will look forward to offering you
      > a spot of sherry if you make it to the US Engineer's camp.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Bob Dorian
      > US Engineer

      My dear Engineer Dorian...

      Cup? Cup?? Cup!!! I appear with only the finest crystal, Sir! Crystal!!

      lack of understanding of the manners of polite society, and will not
      otherwise comment upon it.

      For your edification, however, allow me to inform you that, whether making a
      courtesy call, or being sent on official duty (which, you must admit, is very
      dry work...) it is customary for those being visited to assume the role of
      host, and provide appropriate refreshments and light comestibles...though,
      due to the exigencies of battle (and the possibility of being served an
      opossum petit foure), I have overlooked wihtout previous comment the absence
      of tasty snacks in my previous visits to the American lines.

      Rest assured, however, that I am never without my own stocks of the highest
      quality libations, and the crystal in which to serve them, and I am always at
      the ready to host and toast any foreigner who would care to pay either a
      courtesy call upon, or appear on official duties at, the British Officer's
      mess.

      (Please note, however, that the foregoing only applies to Gentlemen and their
      accompanied Ladies, of course. This being a generally posted missive, I'd
      hate to give the lower orders, and those Americans who may be officers, but
      are certainly NOT gentlemen, any bad ideas which would only lead to their
      public embarrassment and/or a moderate flogging.)

      In particular, Sir, I invite you to present yourself, so that I might raise a
      glass with you before it becomes my unfortunate duty to seek your violent
      demise on the field of battle...

      Yr. Hmbl & Obdt Svt.
      David L. Lynch
      Ensign, 93rd SHRoF

    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        My Dear Ensign Lynch,

        Now if you go offering mild floggings for impertinent visitors, you
        never know who may be showing up and asking for libation.

        If you haven't tried possum, you should not knock it! Very poor manners
        for an gentleman of your breeding. It might be the hosts" favourite
        dish. Not mine however.

        Looking forward to lifting a glass with you (Oops, Crystal vessel) with
        your in the Indiana wilderness this fall. I remain -

        YH&OS,

        Robert Dorian
        Capt. US Engineer
      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
          In a message dated 1/08/01 2:06:00 PM, dave8365@... writes:

          << For your edification, however, allow me to inform you that, whether making
          courtesy call, or being sent on official duty (which, you must admit, is very
          dry work...) it is customary for those being visited to assume the role of
          host, and provide appropriate refreshments and light comestibles...though,
          due to the exigencies of battle (and the possibility of being served an
          opossum petit foure), I have overlooked wihtout previous comment the absence
          of tasty snacks in my previous visits to the American lines. >>

          I dare say the good ensign is rather correct here on formality, and for
          meself I recall many an instance of the sending of good cigars (yes they ARE
          period...don't get me started..) to fellow officers whom happen to be
          inhabiting the enemy position, and with nary a "thank ye" blown my way.
          (Well, sometimes there was a thnk ye, sometimes not, QED, as it were, ...)
          Hmmph and piddel.
          Though I dare say the Good USA Engineer Dorian is as fine a gentleman as one
          could meet. Or least meet outside of London.
          And the good ensign can certainly outdance me, but then I'm gettin' on in
          years...
          I'm gong back to sleep now...zzzzzzz
          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com
        • Five Rivers
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
            I quite agree, Sirs, any civilized person should carry their own supply
            of libations and comestibles. Why the good cooper and I always keep in a
            good store of port, sherry and (dare I say it?) single malt. It keeps the
            day in perspective. And good coffee in the morning, of'times with a little
            aniseed to settle the system.

            Lorina
            the cooper's wife
            supplies
            (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
            info@...
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
              Lorina you shouldn't advertise that, I know where you work and I may have to stop it for a wee drop o da crather, or a fine glass of port. ( it depends on whether or not
              I have the fancy duds on if I bring my manners)

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
                Good Mr. Windsor,

                I would have you know you are always welcome in our home, despite your
                dress, because your impeccable manners are simply an inherent part of your
                good breeding; and good manners, above all else, prove the quality of a
                person.

                as always
                Lorina