Mackinac

  • Antoine Landrieaux
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2001
      Group,

      At the last minute, our member who portrays PO Duncan Livingston (Tom Abthorpe) has had to back out of Mackinac, for next weekend.

      This would not normally be a catastrophe, but we are short one key member now. Namely the narrator for our burning of HMS Nancy on Friday evening. (We really are going to burn a schooner, you know!)

      Is anyone, preferably a good public speaker, familiar with the Nancy who will be going to Mackinac next weekend that could possibly fill in?

      I know Larry is busy, and John Fenner from Green Bay is committed to other duties. Any one else? Contact me off list, please.

      YH&OSvt,

      Landrieaux, NWC

    • Antoine Landrieaux
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2002
        Mike, et al,

        Mackinac was a great time.

        In spite of hurricane weather on Wednesday and drenching rain on Thursday, we managed to get the Nancy built in time for Friday nights battle.

        Our biggest set back was on Thursday night when I found out the we were going to be short half our crew. Due to a medical emergency, some of our members backed out at the last minute, and others were going to arrive too late on Friday.

        But we managed to muddle through, with the help of a few others. My thanks to those who chipped in, to make it look good. My personal thanks to the artillery and Provincial Marine who joined in.

        I was told it looked good and impressed the visitors. I couldn't see, as Matt and I were behind a gun port, and were paying more attention to what we were doing with our deck gun.

        Patrick did a good job of portraying Lt.(RN) Miller Worsely.

        The only hitch was the fire marshall would not let us burn the thing after it was over. I think Chuck Kibby is going to save it for next year.

        The best part was when the shore battery ran out of ammunition. We still had rounds left, and continued to fire untill it was all gone.

        Saturday morning the Royal Navy took on the US Marines. We opened up on their boat with the .98 Moore before they got close enough to the beach to use their own muskets. A swell took out their match, making the swivel gun on the boat usless. Needless to say, by the time they were on the beach, casualties were high, and they were forced to seek parole.

        Patrick graciously gave them back their arms and allowed them to march off the beach, into the shade.

        Saturday night was a good show on the island, despite the logistical nightmare of having to move ordinance across by commercial ferry and transport.

        The two six pounders from Ft. Meigs, and the 3 3pdrs ended up spending the night after they missed the last ferry.

        I hurt my wrist towing the sled down the hill for the wall gun. I was doing ok, until I reached the flat part. The sled stopped and I kept going!

        Suffice to say, the crew of the Nancy made sure they got all their kit with them when they left. Sort of like the original, eh? :-)

        YH&OSvt.,

        Jim Keigher, a.k.a.
        PO Duncan Livingston
        HM Schooner Nancy