IFOS 2001 - was Warships of the Great Lakes, 1754-1834

  • Roger Marsh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2001
      Hey, it's good to see some Naval interest on this list. Anyone would
      think, from reading the last 2 months or so of contributions since I
      joined, that this was purely a land war, whereas in fact it was a
      naval war par excellence - perhaps it may not look so from a Canadian
      viewpoint, but it does generally from a British one, obviously with a
      number of significant land actions attached.

      Naval actions are, quite clearly, far more difficult to re-enact.
      Here's one for you, though - if any of you are planning to be in
      Britain a month from now, you should not miss the International
      Festival of the Sea at Portsmouth, in the Naval Base, the Historic
      Dockyard, &c., August 24th-27th.

      Now the world's largest maritime festival, I hear tell – this year at
      least – it has everything from 10thC vessels (Saxon Longship) through
      15thC (Matthew), REAL 16thC (Mary Rose), 17thC (Shtandart), 18th-
      early 19th (frigate, REAL 1765 "Victory" as in October 1805, French
      corsair cutter of 1812, French privateer schooner). REAL 19th
      ("Warrior", 1860), some 30 visiting 20thC square-riggers alone,
      including the world's largest, the big 4-masted barques (US: barks)
      from Russia, hundreds more vessels, sail, steam and power, the Royal
      Navy and warships from about 15 other countries, up to the latest
      21stC US destroyer "Winston S. Churchill", music from rock though
      classical and shanties to the band of the Royal Marines, fireworks
      over Portsmouth Harbour, sea battles, hundreds of sideshows, food,
      drink, a 4-day party, and, just one of these comprises…..

      ….some 400 contemporary Georgian people in Anchor Lane/Spice Island
      in August 1801, the news of Nelson's failure in the attacks on
      Napoleon's invasion flotillas gathered around Boulogne filtering
      through, invasion feared at any time; e.g., a Naval post-captain, 4th
      Lieutenant and Midshipman of the "Impétueux" (80), Admiral Duncan
      and a Nelson too and many other officers and men of His Britannick
      Majesty's Navy, Army and Marines, King Geo. III himself, and other
      1801 personages from the aristocracy, officers and gentry down to
      washerwomen, beggars, thieves, strumpets and trollops.

      Au quai, au quai, it's not 1812, only 1801 – but if any of you are
      coming, let me know here and I shall leave you word of whom to
      enquire in order to find me, and they will do their best to inform
      you in what dalliance or duty I may currently find myself engaged.
      Website of the festival is at http://www.festivalofthesea.co.uk/

      I am, Sirs and Ma'ams, and Trust I may ever have the Honour to
      remain, your most humble and Obd't Servant

      Roger Marsh