US MANUALS

  • ebclemson@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2001
      Most of the "Baron De Steuben" manuals that I have seen reprinted are from the 1790's. I have an original 1805 with 1807 plates tipped in, and there are a few differences. The major one is that the butt of the musket in 1805 is placed on the ground when loading and I believe that during the Rev. it was off the ground? I haven't looked at the reprint for many years and its packed away some where. I believe it was a Dover publication reprint of a 1794 copy of Steuben's. I agree with Bob, Earley and others that the Smyths manual is the best one to use for 1812. After the war started, Regular army officers were surveyed by the War department what manual they felt was the best to use for Militia. If they preferred Smyths, Duanes or Stuebens. Lt. Col. Daniel Bissell of the 1st Infantry stated that Stuebens was the best for Militia. He also stated that Duanes was too confusing, even for regulars. Dave Bennett 1st US / Mo.Rangers.