Re: [WarOf1812] US Manuals

  • Brian Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
      Hi all,

      Sorry for any confusion I may have caused - I'm actually looking for
      everything I can get my hands on. (Tall order, I know.) I've already sent
      messages offline to Gerry Altoff and Earley Smith, and plan on ordering a
      copy of Duane's "Handbook for Riflemen" from UMI (an amazing resource by the
      way, I'll be checking back there frequently from now on). I'll be sending
      Steve Abolt an email soon about Scott's too.

      I'm very interested to hear that Duane's regular Infantry manual wasn't
      adopted by the Army - I'd heard it was very confusing, but thought it was
      the official manual. Makes me all that more eager to get a copy of Smyth's.

      Kevin, An illustrated version of von Steuben's spontoon and sword drills
      sounds great if you can find the ISBN or any other contact info I'd love to
      see a copy. (I realize the spontoon wasn't used by the USA during the war,
      except *maybe* in some militia units, but I'd still like to see it.)

      Were there any real changes (other than the illustrations) in the various
      editions of von Steuben's manuals, or were they merely cosmetic?

      Kings Press has a lot of other tempting offerings too - would the US Army
      have been likely to refer to Lochee on fortification and encampments?

      Thanks to everyone,
      Brian Smith