Re: guns can be horrible things

  • manipi@msn.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Jul 17, 2001
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., dancingbobd@w... wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I recently received an e-mail describing the situation in Australia
      > since the legislature passed a bill to confiscate most firearms in
      the
      > country and to pay the citizens for those taken. This was done to
      > 'reduce crime." It appears that the actual result of the
      confiscation
      > has been a marked increase in crime with hand gun, as the criminals
      > didn't register and turn in their guns. This took place in the
      last 18
      > months. We should all worry. We in the US as well as those of you
      in
      > Canada.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Bob Dorian
      > US Engineer & Surgeon

      Bob et al,

      Warning! If you don't like this thread, just go on and read the next
      post. These are the only remarks I will make on this subject.

      I recently bought some papers from someone in the New South Wales
      (Australia) Police Dept. and I asked him about this subject. He sent
      the following web page for a reference:

      http://www.aic.gov.au

      It's worth a look! Homicides by firearms have definitely decreased.
      In fact the only time homicides by firearms outnumbered homicides by
      knives in the last 10 years was the interval that included the Port
      Arthur massacre. One graph I looked at indicated that for the last
      interval (98-99) firearms homicides were surpassed by homicides by
      knife and homicides using hands/feet. Also, there was a 13% Decrease
      in armed robberies in '99 from '98.

      Here's an interesting quote:

      "Knives and other sharp instruments were the most common type of
      weapon used in the commission of homicides.
      The rise in `other weapon' homicides after 1995–96 was
      due mainly to an increase in incidents involving carbon monoxide
      poisoning and fire-related death.
      The percentage of homicides involving firearms declined from 28% in
      1989–90 to 20% in 1998–99. The two spikes in this trend were
      mainly attributable to single incidents on the Central Coast (New
      South Wales) in 1992–93 and Port Arthur in 1995–96.
      Firearms were more likely to be used in homicide incidents involving
      multiple victims (46%) than those where there was a single victim
      (21%).
      Between 1 July 1997 and 30 June 1999, nine in 10 offenders of firearm-
      related homicide were unlicensed firearms owners or persons using a
      firearm unregistered to themselves."

      The only reason that I've brought these facts up is that there have
      been messages floating around on the web about how the crime rate has
      increased "dramatically" in Australia since they changed their
      firearms laws. Turns out it's not what it's been touted to be.
      Check the link above and get the information yourself. As Joe Friday
      always said: "Just the Facts!"

      I only have one other point to make about gun laws. That is if we
      think we are 'safe' because we use flinters think again. I know of
      ordinances that have been passed in some cities making it illegal to
      possess assault weapons. What is their definition of an assault
      weapon you ask? It is any weapon to which a bayonet can be affixed
      that was used primarily by the military! Guess what? This includes
      our Besses and Springfield/Charlevilles!!!

      Be aware and take action when needed. If you need facts to support
      your position, by all means use the information that is available but
      make sure you that what you are presenting is truthful information!

      I've said my piece, you may now return to your regularly scheduled
      program.

      Tom Lawrence
    • manipi@msn.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 17, 2001