Re: rifled flintlocks in the UK

  • Terry Lubka
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 1999
      > First, one must have a darned good reason to bring it over (reenactments
      > qualify; I've been invited to be with the UK 1/95th at a living history
      > event in August 1999). You also need a sponsor who is a UK resident
      (don't
      > know whether they have to be UK citizens). Then, the applicant and his or
      > her sponsor must get and fill out the correct application forms, namely
      the
      > "Application for a Visitor's Firearm/Shot Gun Permit"(Firearms Form 107),
      > and the "Application For Grant of an Explosives Certificate To Those
      > Resident Outside The United Kingdom" (COER/2).
      >
      > Both forms are good for individuals as well as groups. You must spell out
      in
      > the forms exactly when, where and for what purpose you plan to use the
      > rifled flintlock. They also ask if you plan to bring explosives with you.
      > don't plan to, and I seriously doubt the US Govt. will let anybody take
      any
      > on the plane, even in the checked luggage. They also ask if you plan to
      buy
      > any firearms or shotguns, acc. to their definitions, while in the UK, but
      > I'd probably need some kind of export licence.
      >
      > The police officer, who is helping my sponsor (my sister-in-law, who is
      from
      > Winchester, Hants) with the application, strongly recommended the latter
      > form, at the very least because it's one of the few things that are
      granted
      > free by the UK Police! :^)
      I honestly can't believe the beauracratic "bull***t! one must go through to
      bring a flintlock rifle or musket into the UK. The forms and sponsors and
      the cost of 24 pounds to get a piece of paper saying you can come in with
      your gun! 24 pounds is a lot to pay for the privilege of going bang!
      I realize we in Canuck land have strict gun laws but the UK's are crazy.
      Sadly I don't think I'd ever do a re-enactment there.
      In regards to the French forces or "Evil Empire" at Fort York, I hear they
      are going to set up speakers on the field so when the "Evil Empire" forces
      deploy on the field they can play Darth Vader's theme music.
      (yah I know it was a bad joke but what the hell, isn't there a new Star
      Wars movie coming out?).

      Terry Lubka
      Toronto, Ontario
      tlubka@...
    • Roger Fuller
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 1999
        >I honestly can't believe the beauracratic "bull***t! one must go through to
        >bring a flintlock rifle or musket into the UK. The forms and sponsors and
        >the cost of 24 pounds to get a piece of paper saying you can come in with
        >your gun! 24 pounds is a lot to pay for the privilege of going bang!

        Actually, (because I wrote in a confused manner in my orig. post) the whole
        shebang is only 12 pounds. But, hey- that's Cool Britannia- and those are
        the laws I must obey, or it's "Strangeways, Here We Come"..... :^) Probably,
        nobody in blue will even give a pot's toss about me and the rifle whilst I'm
        over there, but then again?

        >I realize we in Canuck land have strict gun laws but the UK's are crazy.

        Mebbe so- but they are the "sandbox gods" over there- and BJ Klinton and
        Tony Blair are best buddies, so...look for that here in the US of A pretty
        soon.

        (Hey, 1812ers in the USA- did you know that Mr Clinton wants black-powder
        purchasers to undergo computerised background checks and be kept in a
        database? Just how many guys in shakos are planning to attack a high
        school?...... )

        >Sadly I don't think I'd ever do a re-enactment there.

        Well, I'll let you know how it all turns out. But, seriously, ACW reenactors
        go over there all the time for reenactments, and nobody seems to care. I
        detest gun control, i.e. victim disarmament, but, when I'm in somebody
        else's country, I must obey the laws- or else.

        >In regards to the French forces or "Evil Empire" at Fort York, I hear they
        >are going to set up speakers on the field so when the "Evil Empire" forces
        >deploy on the field they can play Darth Vader's theme music.
        >(yah I know it was a bad joke but what the hell, isn't there a new Star
        >Wars movie coming out?).

        "May the farce be with you".... :^) But seriously, what Crown Forces groups
        are coming to Ft York?

        >Terry Lubka
        >Toronto, Ontario
        >tlubka@...

        Roger
        3/95th
      • mmathews@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 1999
          (snip)
          >In regards to the French forces or "Evil Empire" at Fort York, I hear they
          >are going to set up speakers on the field so when the "Evil Empire" forces
          >deploy on the field they can play Darth Vader's theme music.
          >(yah I know it was a bad joke but what the hell, isn't there a new Star
          >Wars movie coming out?).

          I'm laughing! Just so long as the second tune is "Le Chant du Depart" or
          something along those lines.

          One of the funniest things I ever saw was at an F&I event. The very
          realistic, but highly unpopular British commander was strutting about with
          his men when some Jacobite Highlander started playing Lord Vader's theme on
          bagpipes! Thought I was gonna die. I don't think his cup ever ran dry all
          weekend.

          En avant,
          Michael

          Voice: (507) 285-7585 Fax: (507) 280-5568
          "Wit is educated insolence." -- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)
        • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 1999
            mmathews@... writes:

            << One of the funniest things I ever saw was at an F&I event. The very
            realistic, but highly unpopular British commander was strutting about with
            his men when some Jacobite Highlander started playing Lord Vader's theme on
            bagpipes! Thought I was gonna die. I don't think his cup ever ran dry all

            I find your lack of faith disturbing.