Re: [WarOf1812] Fort York

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 11, 2001
      >It has been communicated to me that since the Fort had seen it's
      >most active use during the War of 1812 ( the Yanks blowed it up!)
      >[ n' blowed it up GOOOOOOOD!]

      Actually
      The Brits "blowed it up real good" before the Yanks took it.
      The US forces merely burnt down everything public "real good".

      Craig
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 11, 2001
        SPIKE!!!
        NO! Naughty boy! Remember, we don't encourage the viewing of that...thing.

        Craig

        >The retreating Brits blew it up; you *have* to rent Chronicles of
        >1812.
        >
        >Spike Y Jones
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 11, 2001
          Is that the one that was on TV about oooh 20 some years ago about a soldier (cpl I think?) of the 8th (King's) Reg't? I think there was like 4 or so episodes. If so or
          not where can I find such an animal. That was what got me hooked into the War of 1812 when I was 10!

        • glifencible <glifencibles@rogers.com>
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 26, 2003
            List

            Are there any events at Fort York this year other than the Officer's
            school?

            (Fort York - Toronto, Onatrio, Canada)

            Thanks
            Bill
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 9, 2004
              From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

              Since it isn't practical for me to attend training at Fort York, this looked
              like an
              inexpensive supplement.........
              ---------------

              Michael Mon Ami' ~

              If you want to, but cannot attend the April 17 Crown Officer, NCO School at
              Fort York, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I will be more than happy to send you
              all the handouts and paperwork regarding same as you do wear "RED" on
              occasion!

              As for "the 1807 regs" as in your booklets.

              The Drill explained at the Crown Officer, NCO School and now being used by
              the Crown Forces is "1811"

              Mr. Peter Twist has posted to all Crown Forces Commanders,

              "I found a complete copy of the Regimental Companion for 1811. This
              included all the General Orders issued up to the end of that year. In
              reading through this material, I realized that some of the procedures we
              were following are incorrect. To that end, I spoke with Ken Purvis at Fort
              York about the possibility of having a weekend of instruction for Officers
              and NCOs in the early Spring before the first event at Longwoods (London,
              Ontario). This gives us an opportunity to improve both the authenticity
              and safety aspects of our portrayal of British and Canadian soldiers during
              the War of 1812."

              All Crown Forces Unit Commanders that are listed at

              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

              have been sent copies of same and should have forwarded them to their
              members.

              Commanders and NCO's who have been attending Crown Officer, NCO School have
              been asked to return to their units and teach, train and drill their units
              using the Regimental Companion for 1811.

              Yh&os

              Larry Lozon ~ AdC to Mr. Twist
            • PEGGY Mathews
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 9, 2004
                (snip)

                >Michael Mon Ami' ~
                >
                >If you want to, but cannot attend the April 17 Crown Officer, NCO School at
                >Fort York, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I will be more than happy to send you
                >all the handouts and paperwork regarding same as you do wear "RED" on
                >occasion!

                Looks like exclusively from now on... except when it's green. Yes please,
                copies of materials would be most appreciated. Whether I'm doing Capt.
                Rolette of the CCV or some nameless private from the de Wattevilles or
                Glengarrys, I want to be on the same page as the others.

                >As for "the 1807 regs" as in your booklets.
                >
                >The Drill explained at the Crown Officer, NCO School and now being used by
                >the Crown Forces is "1811"

                (snip)

                Yes, I did receive those now that you mention it. The attraction to these
                was the idea that they were written with the reenactor in mind. So less
                archaic phraseology in the explanations, and more of the gist of the
                material. A cursory scan confirms that impression. And hopefully, how much
                could be different? Hence, my previous question to the list.

                This day in history: Peace of Luneville between Austria and France
                (9/2/1801)

                Michael

                Get some great ideas here for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day - and
                beyond. http://special.msn.com/network/celebrateromance.armx
              • JGIL1812@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 9, 2004
                  Hey Larry,

                  Sounds like a great idea for us US bound red coats. If you contact me off
                  line I'll let you know where you can send them and I'll pay the shilling at Fort
                  Meigs when I see you there.

                  All the best.

                  John Gilmour
                  RE

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 9, 2004
                    From: <JGIL1812@...>
                    Hey Larry .... contact me off line ........

                    =========

                    John, I can't, your email will not respond!
                    Tried many times ......

                    Ya gots me blocked ....... may because of all the
                    jokes I sent you

                    check your tools and blocked 'e'-ddresses

                    Sorry list ............... for the personal post

                    Larry
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 10, 2008
                      Fort York is in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

                      Near the North bank of Lake Ontario

                      Hope this helps

                      Yrs.,
                      L. Lozon

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 10, 2008
                        Send him this if he doesn't believe you

                        http://tinyurl.com/ypvonr <http://tinyurl.com/ypw6pa>

                        Tell him, he's thinking of this

                        http://tinyurl.com/23wzko

                        If that still doesn't work, send 'im on up; we'll re-enact Sheaff's
                        retreat with him portraying Pike. :-)

                        HTH
                        Ian

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 10, 2008
                          Ian

                          Mr. Wardle, who is not a subscriber to this Yahoo Group and
                          cannot read your post, did not tell me who sent the email asking
                          where Fort York is

                          Yrs.,
                          L2