(no subject)

  • Betsy Bashore
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 1999
      Tim,
      After writing on Moday I actually read the manual-- I haven't looked at it in
      about 6 months and it shows. The US 1812 manual says that the soldeir will not
      throw away his shot (Smyth's) in the soldeir's instructions. I remembered then
      that the trigger guard thing is a lie I tell new troopies. I believe that a
      few of the diaries from the NW campaign might shed more light on the subject,
      (I know I read more somewhere) but I can't remember details and don't have
      time to look. I had hoped someone would call me on this-- means someone is
      paying attention.

      Windage does slow the loading of the musket. Imagine a fouled musket (say five
      shots) and a tight fitting ball-- encased in its nice little papaer wrap-- and
      shoving that down the bore (pound pound pound!!!!).

      Perhaps we should talk about how stupid and arrogant Americans are again for
      the benefit of the bored. Or, boredom aside, they could add something new to
      the discussion-- maybe some intersting new research.

      Betsy