Re: Chippawa Memorial Ceremony

  • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2001
      JG - I suspect that your last visit to Ft York must have been prior
      to 1990. Since then funds have dried up, as they have for most other
      historical sites. Most forts' guards have atrophied. In the case of
      Ft York, limited gov't funding has been allocated to building
      preservation. Operational funding is zip.

      The Friends of Fort York (of which I am a peripheral member) do what
      they can, but it is a volunteer organization with limited funds. At
      the moment its primary focus is to develop the Drums of a Fencible
      reg't. Several permanent people have been hired, and a recruiting
      programme initiated for summer trainees. I must admit that I haven't
      been there since May, so I don't know how it's progressing.

      Doug

      --- In WarOf1812@y..., JGIL1812@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/6/01 7:00:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      > ray.hobbs@s... writes:
      >
      > << The Niagara Parks Commission and their partners have done a
      superb job
      > in preserving the site, a small park to the side of the Parkway is
      the
      > entry to the battlefield which has remained undeveloped since
      1814. It
      > probably looks much the same as it did then. >>
      >
      > Ray,
      >
      > Thank you for making me feel a little bit better about my trip to
      Canada this
      > past weekend. It is nice to see that someone values our heritage.
      >

      > I happened to be in Toronto (yes, the den of all sin) and stopped
      by Fort
      > York to show two of my traveling companions what use to be a fine
      living
      > history site devoted to the War of 1812.
      > I was greeted by two large tents (not period), an expanded Junior
      Officer
      > Quarters building (also not period) and a meager display of 1812
      artifacts.

      > Now, I am an open minded person (I think), can somebody explain to
      me what
      > the "Friends of Fort York" are up to and what happened to the
      King's