Fw: SRA - Buy A Gun Day Is TODAY! Canada: 000s Didn't Reg..

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
      Roger is no longer on this List, but
      requested I forward this to you

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Roger Fuller

      The UN is not our friend, especially if you are a gun owner.
      Has anybody been watching CNN? The UN is scheduled to
      burn a mountain of guns in the United Nations Plaza in NYC today.
      It is supposed to be televised.
      Today, the SAWs, tomorrow the muskets, kids... then what
      will they burn after that...?

      Roger
      Thousands Evade Canada's Gun-License Law
      http://www.jointogether.org/gv/wire/news/reader.jtml?Object_ID=544644
      07/06/01
      As many as 300,000 gun owners in Canada have ignored Canada's gun-license
      law, which went into effect June 30, the Saskatoon Star Phoenix reported June 28.

      Under the 1998 Firearms Act, all guns must be registered by 2003. Those in
      violation would be fined $2,000 or could be subject to five years in jail. According
      to officials at the Canadian Firearms Center, up to 300,000 gun owners have not
      yet applied for a gun license, and "thousands" of license applicants never
      responded to requests for clarification on incomplete forms.

      David Austin, spokesman for the Canadian Firearms Center, noted that gun
      owners who have not applied for licenses prior to the Dec. 31 deadline have been
      subject to prosecution since the beginning of January. According to a federal
      survey, there are an estimated 2.3 million gun owners in Canada. Austin said
      that about two million gun owners are in compliance with the law. Others were
      issued temporary licenses until the backlogged system can issue permanent
      ones.

      <snip>

    • Sue Draper
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
        *sigh*

        Books.

      • spikeyj@crosslink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
          Larry (and Roger),

          Just a reminder: Not everyone in this hobby, or on this list, or even
          living in the United States (home of the Constitutionally-guaranteed
          right to own handguns, but only if you ignore 50% of the words in the
          2nd Amendment) is a rabid supporter of gun rights.

          Since this list is about the War of 1812 reenacting hobby and not
          about gun debates, I'm going to refrain from diving into this
          argument both feet forward. But since this is the second time
          in recent weeks that we've been treated to one of these off-topic
          anti-gun control messages I have to wonder if you're trying to provoke
          a (verbal) fight.

          Spike Y Jones, who thinks one of the major lessons to be learned from
          military reenacting is that guns can be horrible things

          > From: Roger Fuller
          >
          > The UN is not our friend, especially if you are a gun owner.
          > Has anybody been watching CNN? The UN is scheduled to
          > burn a mountain of guns in the United Nations Plaza in NYC today.
          > It is supposed to be televised.
          > Today, the SAWs, tomorrow the muskets, kids... then what
          > will they burn after that...?
        • ANDREW S BATEMAN
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
            From: <spikeyj@...>

            > Larry (and Roger),
            >
            > Just a reminder: Not everyone in this hobby ... is a rabid supporter of
            gun rights.

            Andrew writes:

            Nor does everyone who is bothered by the current trends in the Canadian
            government and at the UN oppose *reasonable* gun laws, but I agree that the
            thread is a tad off-topic. Our 1812 flintlocks are safe enough until the
            next anti-gun PM takes office and decides to "review" things again, which
            shouldn't be for a while now.

            Andrew Bateman, 1/41st (a rabid supporter of gun rights who thinks modern
            politics don't belong on the List. What with authenticity standards and
            umbrella groups, we have enough to argue about already!)
          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13, 2001
              In a message dated 9/07/01 8:56:13 PM, spikeyj@... writes:

              << > Today, the SAWs, tomorrow the muskets, kids... then what
              > will they burn after that...? >>

              Witches!!!!!

              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 19, 2001
                In a message dated 10/07/01 12:59:31 AM, abateman@... writes:

                << Andrew Bateman, 1/41st (a rabid supporter of gun rights who thinks modern
                politics don't belong on the List. What with authenticity standards and
                umbrella groups, we have enough to argue about already!) >>

                ZZzzzzzz..eh? What'sa.....umph...If the thing is rabid, good to have a gun, I
                say...put the blighter down, what? And I'm here to tell you authentic
                umbrellas are mighty hard to come by these days, and I'd recommend James
                Smith & Sons, 53 New Oxford Street, what? umph....zzzzzzzzzzzz...

                Lt. Gen Sir Bunny Wigglesworth, VC, OBE, SOB, QED
                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com