Re: Taking Rifled Flintlocks to the UK

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 1999
      Good story, Michael!

      BTW the same forms I mentioned in my previous post also have check-offs for
      smoothbores as well; additionally, smoothbores with a barrel length of less
      than twenty-four inches and a bore greater than two inches (!) fall under a
      firearm, and not a shotgun, classification. Firearms do receive greater
      scrutiny than smoothbores from the police, though.

      >From: mmathews@... (Michael Mathews)
      >
      >>From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      >>
      >>A while back I wrote the List and asked what requirements one must fulfill
      >>in order to take a rifled flintlock to the UK for purposes of reenactment.
      >>
      >>Well, I've since found out, and for anyone's edification, here they are,
      so
      >>far.
      >
      >Thanks, I'll save this for future reference in case I ever get a Baker. (I
      >can dream can't I?)

      Well, as handmade firearms go, they are pretty cheap. Most handmade fowlers
      and rifles run about US$ 2500-4000. The Rifle Shoppe Baker's a measly $1400.
      (Yeah, measly, right.. :^) I'm not rich either- I'm wondering how I'm going
      to afford the drive to Toronto May 21-23...).

      We've explored the option of getting cheap Indian-made bakers, as they use
      in the UK and Australia, and the paperwork is endless. By the time they
      arrive, one could have earned the money for an RS Baker.

      But since one of the Waterloo options next year is to
      >go over to England early and knock about at bit, what is entailed with
      >getting a smoothbore across

      >Michael

      So, in short, I go through the same thing everybody else _legally_ is
      supposed to do when going to the UK with muskets and rifles. No big deal, it
      seems, but do get the paperwork in way ahead of time, and fill it out right-
      who needs hassles because the "i"s weren't dotted properly.

      Roger Fuller
      3/95th