Re: [WarOf1812] Chippawa Memorial Ceremony

  • JGIL1812@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2001
      ray.hobbs@... writes:

      << The Niagara Parks Commission and their partners have done a superb job
      in preserving the site, a small park to the side of the Parkway is the
      entry to the battlefield which has remained undeveloped since 1814. It
      probably looks much the same as it did then. >>

      Ray,

      Thank you for making me feel a little bit better about my trip to Canada this
      past weekend. It is nice to see that someone values our heritage.

      I happened to be in Toronto (yes, the den of all sin) and stopped by Fort
      York to show two of my traveling companions what use to be a fine living
      history site devoted to the War of 1812.
      I was greeted by two large tents (not period), an expanded Junior Officer
      Quarters building (also not period) and a meager display of 1812 artifacts.

      Now, I am an open minded person (I think), can somebody explain to me what
      the "Friends of Fort York" are up to and what happened to the King's
      Regiment?

      Waiting with an open mind.

      JG/RE
    • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2001
        JG - I suspect that your last visit to Ft York must have been prior
        to 1990. Since then funds have dried up, as they have for most other
        historical sites. Most forts' guards have atrophied. In the case of
        Ft York, limited gov't funding has been allocated to building
        preservation. Operational funding is zip.

        The Friends of Fort York (of which I am a peripheral member) do what
        they can, but it is a volunteer organization with limited funds. At
        the moment its primary focus is to develop the Drums of a Fencible
        reg't. Several permanent people have been hired, and a recruiting
        programme initiated for summer trainees. I must admit that I haven't
        been there since May, so I don't know how it's progressing.

        Doug