Chippawa Memorial Ceremony

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6 2:41 AM
      Yesterday, on the 187th anniversary, to the day, I attended the ceremony
      at the site of the Battle of Chippawa. There also from the re-enacting
      community was Rick Peterson of the RNR. Your indulgence for a brief
      report.
      The Niagara Parks Commission and their partners have done a superb job
      in preserving the site, a small park to the side of the Parkway is the
      entry to the battlefield which has remained undeveloped since 1814. It
      probably looks much the same as it did then.
      The ceremony began at 5.30. In attendance were NPC staff dressed in
      period uniforms representing native allies of both the US and Canada, a
      redcoat (8th), a Lincoln Militiaman, a grey-coated US Regular, a US
      militiaman. Accompanying the group were the fife and drum band of Ft.
      George, a piper in GLI uniform, and a colour party from the local
      Canadian Legion.
      Brian Merrett, Commissioner amd Chair of the NPC led the brief ceremony,
      and Sherman Zavitz, Historian for the NPC gave a brief account of the
      battle.
      A minute of silence was observed, followed by period music from the
      fifes and drums, a piper and by the representatives of the native
      allies. Flowers were laid by two children during the music. The whole
      ceremony was very moving.
      Then there were eats and a guided tour of the site by another NPC
      historian.
      The weather was spectacular, and the event well-worth the journey.
      I believe that an interpretive centre is planned for the site in the
      future. Amidst the rapid development of the lands along the Niagara
      Parkway it is wonderful to see this attention to and care of the history
      of the region.
      At the site a coloured brochure was distributed advertising the Ft.
      George/Lundy's Lane event on July 21-22. For those on the list who will
      be attending Ft. George, and who have not seen the site, it is worth a
      visit. It is a 30min drive from Ft. George. The simplicity of the site
      makes a great impression.
      Yr h & o S
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st
    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9 7:46 AM
        ray.hobbs@... writes:

        << The Niagara Parks Commission and their partners have done a superb job
        in preserving the site, a small park to the side of the Parkway is the
        entry to the battlefield which has remained undeveloped since 1814. It
        probably looks much the same as it did then. >>

        Ray,

        Thank you for making me feel a little bit better about my trip to Canada this
        past weekend. It is nice to see that someone values our heritage.

        I happened to be in Toronto (yes, the den of all sin) and stopped by Fort
        York to show two of my traveling companions what use to be a fine living
        history site devoted to the War of 1812.
        I was greeted by two large tents (not period), an expanded Junior Officer
        Quarters building (also not period) and a meager display of 1812 artifacts.

        Now, I am an open minded person (I think), can somebody explain to me what
        the "Friends of Fort York" are up to and what happened to the King's
        Regiment?

        Waiting with an open mind.

        JG/RE
      • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9 5:32 PM
          JG - I suspect that your last visit to Ft York must have been prior
          to 1990. Since then funds have dried up, as they have for most other
          historical sites. Most forts' guards have atrophied. In the case of
          Ft York, limited gov't funding has been allocated to building
          preservation. Operational funding is zip.

          The Friends of Fort York (of which I am a peripheral member) do what
          they can, but it is a volunteer organization with limited funds. At
          the moment its primary focus is to develop the Drums of a Fencible
          reg't. Several permanent people have been hired, and a recruiting
          programme initiated for summer trainees. I must admit that I haven't
          been there since May, so I don't know how it's progressing.

          Doug