Re: [WarOf1812] Crysler's Farm

  • Zorniak
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 3, 2001
      There should be about 5 muskets coming from Manitoba.

      Don Zorniak
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 4, 2001
        Don I lost your snail mail address.

      • tod_creasey@oti.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 9, 2001
          --- In WarOf1812@y..., red.gold@s... wrote:
          > Just out of curiosity, how many people here (and from which units)
          > are planning on going to the re-enactment of the battle of
          Crysler's
          > Farm?

          4 of the Plauché companie Francs are on the list to go...

          Tod
          Battalion Plauché
          Companie Francs
        • Five Rivers
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 10, 2001
            Anyone know who a person would contact for Chrysler's Farm event next
            year?

            Regards
            Lorina
            supplies
            (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
            info@...
          • Zorniak
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 10, 2001
              Lorina,

              Contact Robin Morris: record@... for details on Crysler's Farm

              Don
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 8, 2002
                Count on the 89th to be there to save the world from yankee domination!

                Larry Lozon wrote:

                > What units are going to the Cryslers Farm
                > 1812/Brigade Napoleon Grande Tactique
                > July 13-14, 2002
              • CB ROTC
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 8, 2002
                  anyone want to send me pix? Ill credit you if i can use them.... (if they
                  dont have modern buildings or crowds of people with WWF t-shirts in the
                  background.... (thats always a pisser) <smile>
                  thank you
                  CB

                  >Count on the 89th to be there to save the world from yankee domination!
                  >
                  >Larry Lozon wrote:
                  >
                  > > What units are going to the Cryslers Farm
                  > > 1812/Brigade Napoleon Grande Tactique
                  > > July 13-14, 2002

                • jbwhittaker
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 16, 2002
                    I would like to add a farthings worth of my humble opinion regarding
                    Crysler's Farm and the rest. I can safely reckon most of us got into
                    this hobby because of a keen interest in our country's history and
                    history in general. If we get another period group to come out and
                    swell the ranks thats great. It gives the spectators more of
                    a "show". When the battle is done and the public visit the
                    encampments that is the time and place to enlighten them and answer
                    many questions. It is true many of our camp ammenities and creature
                    comforts may not be accurate but it does allow us to bring wives and
                    children. If our wives are comfortable and happy that may ensure our
                    continued involvement. If we start our children in this hobby then
                    perhaps they will remain in it and carry on when we are no longer
                    able to come out as often as we would like. I have a 14 year old
                    working on the gun and he is knifing to take up my musket and take
                    his place in the line. My 11 year old son will likely take a spot on
                    the gun crew. My three year old will be the death of me but that is
                    beside the point. When I attend an event alone, then I endeavour to
                    my utmost to be historically accurate and period correct, just my
                    wedge tent, wooden box for my gear, and the clothes on my back. What
                    I don't need is some martinet with a ramrod shoved up his ass into
                    his brain looking down his nose at me and others because he has no
                    children or grandchildren in his unit and can spend all his
                    disposable income on attaining 100% historical accuracey. I do not
                    mean to offend anyone and offer my apologies if I have. Reenactors
                    are trying their best to live a 19th century life in the 21st century
                    and I think we are doing a fine job at it. As far as "bushwacking"
                    goes, I enjoy the morning tacticals at Longwoods and Backus Mill very
                    much. It is a chance for us to have fun and not put on a show for the
                    public.
                    Regards,
                    J.Bruce Whittaker
                  • petemonahan@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 16, 2002
                      Right On, Ortheris

                      Nobody I know marches to these re-enactments either and I don't see the
                      nico-fiends giving up the demon weed for 48-60 hours at a time, or even using
                      clay pipes. We all try to portray and explain the life of the 19th century
                      soldier but we all, every one, make compromises too. I used to sleep on the
                      ground and eat salt horse and hardtack a very few years ago and I am very
                      glad when some of us can be 100% hard-core-spot -on accurate.

                      But, when my wife, kids and 47 year old body demand two tent, stools, real
                      plates and, yes, TP, I will explain but not apologize to anyone, tourist or
                      historical police, who says ."Isn't that wrong for..." Here it is: "We are
                      creating the impression of 19thC life, not the reality. Nobody has lice or
                      ricketts or flogging scars, scurvy or the French disease (I hope) ..." Its a
                      hobby, as JP says, not a sacred trust. Try to be true to the history, but
                      try to keep some perspective too!

                      Peter Monahan, Corporal, RNR
                      petemonahan@...
                      705-435-0953

                    • steenkinbadges
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 16, 2002
                        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "jbwhittaker" <ortheris@r...> wrote:
                        > When the battle is done and the public visit the
                        > encampments that is the time and place to enlighten them and answer
                        > many questions. It is true many of our camp ammenities and creature
                        > comforts may not be accurate

                        Boy, is that saying a lot or what? :^)

                        >but it does allow us to bring wives and
                        > children. If our wives are comfortable and happy that may ensure
                        our
                        > continued involvement.

                        This is a common justification for anachronistic junk: "It's all my
                        wife and kids' fault. THEY want this stuff, not me... it's all THEIR
                        fault." Blame it all on the women...puh-leeze... the feminists would
                        have a field day with that remark, and I wouldn't blame them.

                        >If we start our children in this hobby then
                        > perhaps they will remain in it and carry on when we are no longer
                        > able to come out as often as we would like. I have a 14 year old
                        > working on the gun and he is knifing to take up my musket and take
                        > his place in the line. My 11 year old son will likely take a spot
                        on
                        > the gun crew. My three year old will be the death of me but that is
                        > beside the point.

                        If you teach the kids right, then they won't need to bring along lots
                        junk, and won't desire it either. What you do, they do. The apple
                        does not fall far from the tree, as the old saying goes.

                        Of course, kids tend to outgrow things they did in their youth, but,
                        if they have had a genuine experience with something they might come
                        back to it when they get older. Me, I was forced to play soccer and
                        hockey from an early age, and got tired of it prematurely. I can only
                        hope our kids won't have the same feeling about history.

                        When I attend an event alone, then I endeavour to
                        > my utmost to be historically accurate and period correct, just my
                        > wedge tent, wooden box for my gear, and the clothes on my back.

                        I doubt common soldiers on campaign or even in a fortress would have
                        been allowed the luxury of a box for their gear, since it took up
                        space in wagons, and was very difficult to carry on one's back. There
                        are always exceptions, but they sure wouldn't have been the rule,
                        esp. in the British Army.

                        What
                        > I don't need is some martinet with a ramrod shoved up his ass into
                        > his brain looking down his nose at me and others because he has no
                        > children or grandchildren in his unit and can spend all his
                        > disposable income on attaining 100% historical accuracey.

                        I have a family. They come along, too. They carry what they need for
                        an event in on their backs, and they bring it out on their backs.
                        There are a lot of 1812ers that do it like that, but they don't talk
                        about it much, and they don't seem to be much in evidence here. Even
                        the group I'm with, (who shall forever remain nameless) has several
                        members are addicted to bringing along an entire museum on wheels. I
                        try talking with them, but....

                        BTW most of the single guys in the hobby I know are not any more
                        interested in working tow'd authenticity than guys with families, but
                        that's just my experience.

                        >I do not
                        > mean to offend anyone and offer my apologies if I have.

                        Well, I'm not offended. Of course, you've already taken a good swipe
                        at women, children, single people, and the authenticity movement in
                        general. Is there anybody left?

                        Reenactors
                        > are trying their best to live a 19th century life in the 21st
                        century
                        > and I think we are doing a fine job at it. As far as "bushwacking"
                        > goes, I enjoy the morning tacticals at Longwoods and Backus Mill
                        very
                        > much. It is a chance for us to have fun and not put on a show for
                        the
                        > public.

                        Isn't it possible to do both? People are coming to see us to learn,
                        as well as be entertained.

                        Why not show them as much as practicable and reasonable (without
                        contracting life-threatening diseases or getting shot, for example)
                        what life was like back then?

                        Larry
                      • jbwhittaker
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 16, 2002
                          Thanks for the kind words and understanding Peter. I was not making
                          excuses or blaming wives and kids. My wife and children love the
                          reenactment hobby and are very good at maintaining a tidy camp free
                          of "anachronistic junk", as much as that is possible. I have the
                          utmost respect for fellow reenactors and regret my post was taken as
                          a slight to some. I will endeavour in future to be more sensitive to
                          the feelings of others.
                          Regards,
                          J.Bruce Whittaker
                        • Kevin Windsor
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 16, 2002
                            Larry I was going to post on this, but then I thought " I already have before" If you go into the archives and read the messages about the Hardcore movement I think you
                            will find most of this has been covered ad nauseum.

                            steenkinbadges wrote:

                            > Isn't it possible to do both? People are coming to see us to learn,
                            > as well as be entertained.
                            >
                            > Why not show them as much as practicable and reasonable (without
                            > contracting life-threatening diseases or getting shot, for example)
                            > what life was like back then?
                            >
                            > Larry
                          • cplwattie
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 16, 2002
                              > Well, I'm not offended. Of course, you've already taken a good
                              swipe
                              > at women, children, single people, and the authenticity movement in
                              > general. Is there anybody left?

                              Oh, oh! There's an authenticity "movement"?!?
                              I'd feel a lot better about some members of this undoubtedly
                              influential group if they spent less time looking down their noses at
                              other re-enactors for alleged anachronisms and more time on the
                              real "authenticity movements" ie: drill. Show me a snappy halt right
                              wheel, a reverse wheel with decent dressing and a volley that doesn't
                              sound like Jiffy-Pop and we'll call THAT an authentic movement ...
                              Cpl. Wattie
                              (his mark)
                            • steenkinbadges
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 17, 2002
                                --- In WarOf1812@y..., "cplwattie" <cwattie@n...> wrote:

                                > Oh, oh! There's an authenticity "movement"?!?

                                Newsflash: there are many individuals in all phases of the Hobby who
                                would like to work towards making things on the field and in camp,
                                and in personal interpretations with the public, a bit more
                                realistic. It will never be perfect, but it doesn't mean that we
                                should be a cartoon of the past, does it? It means working within
                                reasonable legal, financial and health guidelines to achive more
                                authenticity. It is not meant to exclude nor is it meant to offend,
                                unless the reader takes the concept to be offensive. It is meant to
                                put the research of many people into practice; new information comes
                                up all the time, some of which confirms what is being already done,
                                some indicating change is needed. I should think that a well-drilled
                                unit in inauthentic gear should not be considered superior to one
                                that is oufitted authentically, but needs a bit more work in drill-
                                in fact it should be cheaper and easier to rectify the sins of the
                                latter, rather than the former, for obvious reasons.

                                > I'd feel a lot better about some members of this undoubtedly
                                > influential group if they spent less time looking down their noses
                                at
                                > other re-enactors for alleged anachronisms and more time on the
                                > real "authenticity movements" ie: drill. Show me a snappy halt
                                right
                                > wheel, a reverse wheel with decent dressing and a volley that
                                doesn't
                                > sound like Jiffy-Pop and we'll call THAT an authentic movement ...

                                Somebody doth protest too much, methinks. Well, if that is the case,
                                then how about that pipe band that showed up at Ft George last year,
                                some sort of 77th Highlanders of the F&I era? Their drill and wheels
                                and manoeuvres were first-rate, although it did look a bit, er,
                                peculiar- a mix of 20th, 19th cent. British military drill and maybe
                                some
                                cadet drill (?), but at any rate, they did exactly what you require.
                                Were they authentic for an 1812 event? That question I will let
                                others here answer. But- they were at least well-drilled...

                                Also, just because somebody is in a large mainstream group that stays
                                in wall tents and has a huge camp with mega-dining flies, doesn't
                                guarantee that said group is well-drilled, esp. when combined with
                                other units on the field, whose cadences and timing may be different.
                                This is always a problem in any re-created time period, be it ACW or
                                RevWar- last year at White Plains for a big RevWar event, the various
                                Hessian units, most quite well-trained in and of themselves as
                                discrete groups, found they had trouble incorporating themselves with
                                other groups, esp. when it came to inclining or performing wheels-
                                there was a real mess at some point, with the entire line bowing into
                                a big inverted V... and yes, I've seen it happen at 1812 events, too.

                                One solution is, as one guy in one group said to me last year, is for
                                all the various "micro-units" to give it up and join an established,
                                bigger group, and attend their drills. That is one solution to the
                                field manoeuvre problem, but some might not find things in
                                the now-bigger group to their liking.

                                Ah, reenactment politics- the last REAL blood sport (other than
                                hockey).

                                But it is possible to combine both authenticity in camp, uniform with
                                snappy drill- all one has to do is look at the US 7th Infantry. Every
                                time they come to a Canadian event, let's face it- they outshine
                                everybody here. They run things like a real military outfit! And, no,
                                being more authentic does not always mean sleeping on the cold ground
                                without a tent. It can also be a garrison impression in a fort, or
                                that of a well-supplied regular army unit on campaign, in tents, and
                                with the tents set up in military fashion, not higgledy-piggledy like
                                so many seem to do it at so many events. It all depends on how much
                                it all resembles and functions like the practices of the 1812-14 war.

                                I think, in essence, we are on the same page: improvements in drill,
                                uniform, camp and provisions are all possible to make more authentic
                                without pulling out one's teeth or contracting horrid diseases or
                                breaking the bank. We can get rid of such things as hay bales, etc.
                                (yes, I've gone back and checked the archives as Kevin Windsor
                                advised, so I'm not going to go over all that, altho' it's an
                                interesting discussion in the archives) and put the dayglo orange
                                coolers and the cigarettes away, out of sight, at the very least.

                                Larry
                                (AKA Fred C Dobbs)
                              • glifencible
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 11, 2004
                                  Great event... Thanks to all of the organizers and volunteers! Too bad
                                  I couldn't stay 'till Sunday... Saturday's evening battle was amazing!

                                  Anyway, I've put up some pictures on the Glen website:

                                  http://glengarrylightinfantry.ca

                                  See you at Wasaga

                                  Regards
                                  Bill
                                • historyatlarge@canada.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 12, 2004
                                    As one of the organizers who played a small role, I am
                                    pleased by the kind words and excellent photographs.
                                    Putting on events like this has its challenges as many
                                    of you know. I hope overall everyone had a good time.
                                    The pictures have captured slices of time at Crysler's
                                    that hopefully trigger fond memories and those that
                                    could not attend "shall not think themselves accursed
                                    they were not here, nor hold their manhoods cheap
                                    whiles any speaks that fought with us upon John
                                    Crysler's field." My apologies to Shakespeare. Mark
                                    your calendars for this date next year when we will
                                    host a Rev. War event and return to 1812 in 2006.

                                    Cheers, Michael Whittaker

                                    Michael Whittaker
                                    Merrickville, Ontario
                                    "Of arms and the man I sing." Virgil
                                  • Dave Hill
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 14, 2004
                                      The event at Crysler's Farm last weekend was really good fun and I
                                      didn't speak to anyone who didn't have a good time. Robin Morris and
                                      the other people involved deserve the highest praise. The thing that
                                      struck me the most was the size of the crowds for the entire event.

                                      Dave Hill
                                      President MRSC.
                                    • glifencible
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 9, 2006
                                        Hey now,

                                        Once again, thanks to all of the organizers and volunteers for such a
                                        great event. The Saturday night battle in the village is always fun.
                                        I've posted a few pictures on the GLI website. Should have some more
                                        in a couple of weeks.

                                        http://glengarrylightinfantry.ca

                                        Click on Gallery.

                                        Regards
                                        Bill
                                      • Dave Westhouse
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 18, 2008
                                          List,

                                          I have received confirmation from Robert Irvine of the Friends of
                                          Crysler's Farm that this is indeed the year for 1812 at Crysler's.
                                          The event will be July 12-13, 2008. The date has been added to the
                                          event list website.
                                          http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist/
                                          Following is the information as I received it;

                                          Hi Dave,

                                          Confirming it will be an 1812 event @ Crysler's Farm this year on
                                          July 12/13,2008 -lots of parking and good firewood, 3 battle
                                          scenarios(one in the villiage proper), three meals - light breakfasts
                                          on sat/sun and a decent dinner sat night. Free entry into Upper
                                          Canada villiage
                                          Our web page will be updated shortly.
                                          Glad you contacted us-thank you
                                          any questions-pls ask
                                          Bob Irvine
                                          Friends of the crysler's Farm Battlefield.

                                          Updated as informed,
                                          Dave Westhouse,
                                          1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.
                                        • glifencible
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 13, 2008
                                            Another great event! I especially love the village battle. I've
                                            posted a video of it on my YouTube site. It's just over 8 minutes
                                            long; listen for the narrator and crowd reaction at the end! Priceless!

                                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=KG2YaKxMEds

                                            Regards
                                            Bill
                                          • Craig Williams
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 13, 2008
                                              Great footage Bill!
                                              Looks like I missed a good one.

                                              Craig Williams

                                            • Coolbogey@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 13, 2008
                                                That was a fun video indeed . Its to bad more people wont do the 1812
                                                period . If only a fraction of the other periods got involved you could due ever
                                                battle 1:1 scale .

                                                Cheers , Mark

                                              • Tom Fournier
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 13, 2008
                                                  Unfortunately rain washed out today's battle but the two Saturday
                                                  battles were great fun.

                                                  All in all it was a wonderful weekend!

                                                  Tom Fournier

                                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Great footage Bill!
                                                  > Looks like I missed a good one.
                                                  >
                                                  > Craig Williams
                                                  > On 13-Jul-08, at 3:12 PM, glifencible wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Another great event! I especially love the village battle. I've
                                                  > > posted a video of it on my YouTube site. It's just over 8 minutes
                                                  > > long; listen for the narrator and crowd reaction at the end!
                                                  > > Priceless!
                                                  > >
                                                  > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=KG2YaKxMEds
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Regards
                                                  > > Bill

                                                • andydesj
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 4, 2011
                                                    Hi everyone;

                                                    I'd like to get a feel for which US Units will be at Crysler's Farm this coming weekend. If you are planning on attending as American Forces, could you confirm please.

                                                    Thanks and hope to see you all on the battle field or the Village or in the Village pub!

                                                    Andy Desjardins
                                                    22nd U.S. Infantry, Henderson's Co
                                                  • Tom Hurlbut
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 4, 2011
                                                      Sorry guys, the 25th is not planning to attend. There is a rumour that
                                                      Bain's Platoon, 1st Rifle Regiment is going.

                                                      _____