British packs

  • Peg Mathews
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Ladies and gents,

      I'm assembling a pair of the fold over soft packs that seem to be most common in Canada during the war. (I'll do a trotter someday when I feel particularly masochistic.) I have a nice pattern from Mr. Feltoe, but had two questions. Would canvas duck fabric be an acceptable alternative? The actual example cited was painted red. Some of the other examples I've seen are painted black. What would be the "most common?" Lastly, [three questions, Sir!] any recommendations on what to use? I assume it's a form of waterproofing. Input is welcome.

      Thanks,
      Michael

      "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes