Re: Who knows their history better--Americans or Canadians?

  • Angela Gottfred
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      P.S. 38% of Canadians could correctly name one of the wars in which Canada
      was invaded by the U.S. Only 18% of Americans could, making this one of the
      questions that Americans did the most poorly on. (The worst was "Who was
      the first American in space?" And no, the answer *isn't* John Glenn.)

      A.G.
    • russell barnes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
        Angela:
        I saw a poll last year in which Harvard graduates
        scored rather poorly on a handful of questions about
        American History. One of the questions was to name the
        decade of the 19th century in which the Civil War
        ocurred. Only half these graduates got that question
        right.

        As someone who has taught history at the college
        level, I was apalled. These people were graduating
        from a major university of proud academic tradition
        and in all their time there, they did not have to take
        even one history course.

        Russ

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/